Chapter One

Daniel's P.O.V

"Hi?" I say to the girl who waves back at me happily. "What are you doing out here exactly?"

"I came out here to ask you the same thing," Olivia says tilting her head at me. "I saw your headlights through my window about an hour ago and finally decided to come outside to see if you were alright. You'd be surprised just how many cars break down on this road."

"Oh really?" I nod my head and pull at the strings of my hood. "You said that you saw me from your room, but I don't see any houses."

"It's through the cornfield," she gestures over to the tall cornstalks that are covered in snow. "I can see just about anything through the window in my room. It's a pretty big house."

"Fantastic," I say and watch as the cold air comes out of my mouth. "My car broke down a couple of hours ago-"

"You can come inside," she says excitedly. "That's kind of the reason I came out there. To make sure that you weren't freezing or anything."

"I wouldn't want to intrude," I say politely. "I think I can just wait the rest of the storm out from inside my car. It shouldn't be much longer anyways."

"Have you not seen the forecast?" She frowns at me as if I'm crazy. "You can't stay out here. There's no telling when this storm is going to finally pass and it's only supposed to get worse from right now. Ma almost didn't even let me come out here to ask if you were alright because she was almost certain that you would probably already be snowed into the car."

"Really?" I sigh and rub my hand through my freezing cold hair. "Well maybe it won't get too bad-"

"I'm not letting you stay out here," she takes a step back and waves for me to step out of the car. "C'mon, the house isn't too far of a walk."

Who would I be to decline such a nice lady? Besides, I don't think that I'd be able to make it long in this car before freezing to death. So without any further questioning I pull my car keys out of the ignition and reach back to grab my suitcases from the backseat. I clumsily climb out of the car with the suitcases in hand. 

"So where exactly are we going?" I look around and see absolutely nothing but snow and cornfields. How did she find me all the way out here when I can barely see three feet in front of me? 

"To my house," she yells back as she begins to walk away from me. I quickly scramble to follow after her, afraid to lose her in the heaping amounts of snow. "It's a straight shot through the fields."

I follow behind her silently, neither of us wanting to talk much more as we're being pelted in the face with snow. I hope that this girl knows where she's going because I'm having a hard time just keeping my eyes open. I'm starting to wonder whether or not it was a good idea to follow this random stranger out into the middle of these cornfields. I've never seen a movie where anything good ever happens in cornfields, usually people just end up dying. 

Soon enough though, I can make out the outline of what would seem to be a house. As we draw even closer to it I'm relieved to see that it is indeed a house and that this girl wasn't lying. Good to know that she wasn't actually leading me to some sort of torture dungeon or something. That would certainly be bad, but this just looks like a regular farm.