CHAPTER 18 ~ BENNY?

- Benjamin -

I heard something dripping.

Drip.

Drip drip.

Drip drip drip.

It didn't sound far off, somewhere next to me.

I opened my eyes slightly and a bright light blinded my vision for a second. I kept blinking to get used to it.

"Ugh," I groaned, feeling my body ache horribly. My leg still felt cold and numb.

The whirring and buzzing of activity suddenly invaded my ears and I closed my eyes again. Hoping for everything to shut the hell up.

"Benjamin, Mr Benjamin Burnes can you hear me?"

I wanted to punch whoever was talking, my brain was pounding from all the noise.

"Mmm..." I sighed and whoever it was started pressing on my arms and legs, asking if I could feel or something.

I winced when he or she touched my leg, the cold chilling me to my very bones.

I've never felt this cold before, the only two people I know who feels this cold is Serena and Shawn.

Serena.

My eyes flew open and I gasped for air, the person next to me, who I can identify as a nurse is trying to get me to calm the fuck down.

"Mr Burnes, do you know where you are?" She asked me like a pathetic child and I stared at her.

"I'm in a-" I coughed and choked like crazy. My throat was so dry and raspy.

She handed me a glass of water and I reached out to take it.

I looked around the room, realising the nurse was perspiring like a mad dog and suddenly felt that the room was at a very comfortable temperature.

How high was the heater on in here?

"Do you know where you are Mr Burnes?" She repeated her question the moment I finished downing the last of my water.

"A ward. A hospital. Where is Serena?"

The door to my ward opened and a tired looking Shawn entered, an officer standing just behind him.

He was clean, in a new set of clothes. I remember him more dishevelled the last time I saw him.

Which was at the fight.

Everything flooded into my mind suddenly and I slapped my hand on my forehead. As if that could save me from the sheer weight of the memories coming back to me.

"Give me some time alone with him," he told the officer and walked in, sitting on the stool next to my bed.

The nurse left and it was just us two in the room.

I didn't know what I was feeling.

Pissed and angry.

Confused and unsure.

Worried and scared.

Scared for Serena.

I pushed myself to sit up and Shawn used his ice to push the remote for my bed to adjust to a sitting position.

I tried to sit comfortably but I felt all edgy and my whole body ached.

"Ah fuck!" I winced and realised my left leg that was frozen was totally numb.