Chapter 01

© 2012-2016 by AzureSapphire/ Layla Taha. All rights reserved.

Last updated 2016, July.

***************

Chapter 01

I awoke to the dawn's sunrays spilling through my window. I sat up from my bed and stretched my sore limbs. It had been three long months since the incident that ripped Kai-Ren away from me. Even so, I knew now that he was not dead. It took a while for me to see pass my grief and realized that the connection between my twin and I was still intact, allowing me to know that he was not fully gone from me. When I told Papa this, he just nodded and had this faraway look on his face. Even so, Papa missed both Kai-Ren and Mama, who had been missing since I was three.

I took a cold shower in the early morning to fully rouse myself up before today's training and studying sessions. I rubbed the tattoo on my left arm. It was a unique design that encircled my arm. I designed it together with Kai-Ren last year and we got the tattoo together on our sixteenth birthday. It was an exquisite, one of a kind design that when my arm put side by side along Kai-Ren's right one, the design continues despite it being encircled on our arms individually. I sighed, something I've been doing frequently when I think of my beloved twin. I truly missed him.

I shampooed my hair and slathered some rose-scented body soap before closing the shower and went out of the bathroom. I grabbed my fluffy cotton towel that was hanging just outside my bathroom, and proceeded into my walk-in closet to grab some garbs to wear for the day. I put on a black tank top and comfy sweats for today's training sessions. Walking to my full-length mirror, I started combing my reddish black hair and put it into a high ponytail.

I was pretty slender and stood at about 5'9 tall. My violet eyes with blue flecks stared back at me. My eyes were something I found uncanny since mine was violet with blue specks; while Kai-Ren's ones were the exact same shades as mine, except his was blue with violet specks. We found it strangely weird, but we loved this trait of ours the most. I snapped out of my reverie and headed down to the kitchen to grab some light breakfast before leaving my house to get my two-hour run.

After my run, I came back and headed to the living room where Papa was waiting, as usual. It's been the same routine for the past ten years, though for the past three months, I had been doing it all alone. Kai-Ren and I were used to living with just Papa, as Mama disappeared when we were three. Papa searched high and low for one whole year, but soon gave up on his search and settled down to bring us up. Even so, he never gave up in hoping that Mama will return one day. We did not live in any packs, despite us being werewolves. We lived deeply in the heart of a forest and the closest town nearby was a human populated town. Papa did not like packs for it reminded him too much of his past, which he didn't elaborate on much except that he was the only son of the alpha of the deadliest pack in the world then, before they were brutally killed leaving him as the sole survivor.

When we were seven, Papa stated that we needed to learn how to fight and also have the brains to outsmart our enemies, so it had been like that ever since. In the early part of the day, we would go for a run for two-hours non-stop, and after that, we would study and then we would train. Papa brought us up well. Kai-Ren and I attained our GED when we were only thirteen and got our respective degrees when we were fifteen. Well, we were just that hardworking- and smart too, if I could be a little arrogant. But, we still studied every morning since it had become a habit. Training was the best part. Papa taught us all forms of fighting with different types of weaponry. Archery, guns, combat fighting, swordsmanship. You name it, Papa taught us all and well, both in wolf and human form.

However, the best part of training was when we trained our powers. My twin could control the weather and read minds while I could control all four elements; Air, Water, Fire and Earth and was gifted with telekinesis. It was when Papa planned out trainings infused with our powers that we enjoyed the most. Our powers were a secret to everyone except Papa, Jake, Jake's parents, and Raphael. Papa said never to mention of it at all. We knew then, that we were different as Papa could only shift into a wolf and had no other gifts. We came to the conclusion that we inherited it from Mama. However, we didn't know much of her roots, as Papa would not tell us anything. We accepted it after a while since it must have pained him to recall of his missing mate.

Raphael was a young vampire who lived nearby to us. He was the only vampire that Kai-Ren and I knew personally and also the friendliest. He saw Papa as his own father and treated us fondly. I loved him dearly too since while growing up, he had been a constant presence in our lives. He was a dashing looking man with brunette locks and vibrant emerald eyes. Even though he was way much older than Papa, he didn't look any older than twenty. Most vampires that were still roaming the Earth were of hundreds of years. If Raphael had told you of his age, it meant that he cared for you sincerely and trusted you. Papa, Kai-Ren and I knew of his age.

I turned to Papa while finishing up some of my reading on Criminal Psychology. Humans were interesting, I thought pensively. Especially the criminals, though I did not approve of their misdeeds at all. "Papa, what's for training today?"

"Today will be swordsmanship and combat fighting only, dear."

"Oh, okay," I could not help the disappointment that leaked out, and Papa just chuckled with amusement shining clearly through his eyes as he glanced at me. Papa's a handsome man who didn't look any older than thirty for werewolves aged way much slower when we reach twenty. He had sandy blonde hair with blue-grayish eyes.

**

"Ompfh," I let out when I landed on my behind, dripping with sweat. Papa had his sword tip pointing at my neck. "Ugh! When will I ever defeat you, old man?"

Humor glistened in his eyes when he replied, "Hey! I'm not that old! And, trust me dear daughter, you're really good. You'll definitely surpass me one day."

I huffed out in frustration while Papa just withdrew the sword. It's been five hours since training started. We started out with combat fighting and then continued with swordsmanship. Training was as eventful as ever. I would get the upper hand once in a while, but it would only last for a while before Papa totally made me land on my back. Literally. Papa was definitely a good fighter, and Kai-Ren was as good as him. I sighed when I thought of my twin yet again. I should stop being so depressed today! My twin was still alive so I should just continue clinging on to that hope!

Papa gave me a small smile, clearly aware of what was going on in my head. "Oh, Kayra, come into my office later after you've cooled down from practice."

"Okay, Papa," I answered and then dashed into my room to take a quick shower and cool down. I hated being sweaty. After showering and getting dressed in fresh garbs, I sat on my bed for a couple of minutes while staring at a picture of Kai-Ren and I. I mindlessly rubbed the picture as I was transported back mentally to the past into one of my memories with my beloved older twin.

"I just don't get it why girls would want to wear clothes that are two to three sizes too small for them," I told Kai-Ren while eyeing a human girl who was wearing a baby sized tank and a mini skirt that was so mini that when she bended down, she would give the whole café a view of her thongs, or lack thereof.

Kai-Ren just chuckled while eating his sandwich. "Well, neither do I. Though, I'm not complaining." I made a disgusted face before Kai-Ren continued: "even so, I'd rather for a chick that's more modest, for I'd want my mate to only show all of it to me."

"Okay, too much info., Kai. But, I agree. Are you done? I want to get a head start, so that we wouldn't be late for the movie that is gonna start soon."

I was brought back to reality by a traitorous tear that spilled onto the frame of the photo. I smiled a sad smile as I recalled my brother. I really missed him. He was my closest friend and sibling. He was usually there for me when Papa couldn't be. I got lost in my wonderdul memories a little more before I forcefully rubbed away the tears that were cascading down my cheeks and put the frame back onto my bedside table.

I then stood up and headed to Papa's office.