Chapter Four

That night I lay in bed restless, thinking of Lucien. I never thought of Lucien as more than a friend, but now I do. The kiss he laid on me was magical and I kept replaying it over and over in my head. His lips moving on mine, his groan when I opened up to him.

I wake up to talking down stairs and slowly make my way out of bed. Rhysand and Feyre sit on a couch in the sitting room talking. When I approach they both go quiet, but the smile Feyre gives me tells me she knows. I ignore that smile. "How was your night Elain?" Rhysand smirks and I glare at him.

 "Fine. How was your night Rhysand?"

A low laugh is my answer, I roll my eyes and make myself comfortable in a plush love seat across from them. "We had a fairly good night. We stopped by the library to dig up some research and Rhys interviewed a few humans for work at one of the open shops in the Rainbow. Boring stuff really."

My night was anything but boring. Spending the night out, dancing, and eating and talking with Lucien somewhat brought life back to me. Of course I have learned how to cope with my powers so I am more alive in that sense, but I have been too afraid to actually let myself have some fun. My heart tugs as I think of the look in his eye when he pulled away from me.

I stand quickly and rush up to my room to dress up, wearing simple dress that reaches just below my knees, hanging off me. Without a word to Feyre or Rhysand I walk to the destination I desire. Once I arrive, I knock on the door. Lucien opens the it just as I am about to knock again. He is shirtless, his hard muscled torso on full display causing my belly to do flips, a pair of loose pants around his waist, hair mussed with sleep. He looks gorgeous. I smile nervously and bite my lip. "I'm sorry did I wake you?" I ask feeling a bit bad for having possibly woken him.

He shakes his head and steps aside to let me in. "Good morning Elain. I didn't think I would hear from you until next week." for our weekly visit. 

His apartment is tidy, only a cup and plate liter a table, smells like breakfast. "I wanted to see you after last night. See how you were doing. You left with some haste last night."

He takes a seat and immediately I can see guilt flash through his russet eye. "Oh Elain..." I cut him off. "No I am not angry with you," I take a seat beside him, resting my hand on his forearm, tracing a vein, words swirling through my mind. 

"I wanted to check on you. You pulled away, but I could see in your eyes you didn't want to, so why pull away?"

 He watches my finger run along his vein, thinking, trying to pull together a response. "I...hmmm.. I didn't want to over step my boundaries. It has been 2 years and well... I didn't want to frighten you off by coming on too strong. I wanted to give you time to think about what you wanted. If this is something you wanted to try." his fingers lace through mine, holding my hand. I lean my head against his shoulder. He is so kind. He always has been from the moment I met him. Kind and understanding.

 For a moment I just close my eyes. I don't think about the bond between us, I focus on the bond we created with time. My feelings for him. I do like him. I like him a lot. Maybe this is something I want to pursue. Why else would I have just come here? I could have waited until next week to see him, but I couldn't. I needed to see him again.