“Don’t worry about it”, she whispered and stroked my cheek lovingly. “I’m good right here”, she repeated my words with a smile that made my heart beat faster.

“I just wish we could have ended the year on a better note but I guess this is just as fitting”, I almost sighed.

“It has been a crazy year”, Camila agreed but her fingers kept caressing the side of my face.

“Yeah, you can say that again”, I laughed but my chest ached in the sudden movement. “I mean, can you believe that just about ten months ago we were in this apartment and hadn’t seen each other in four months? You just showed up and threw me for a complete loop there”, I started reminiscing with a bigger smile.

“Oh God, don’t remind me of that fight. You were so mean”, the younger woman smirked and it was incredible that we were able to talk about this now while smiling. At the time, it had seemed like the worst thing in the world. But after everything we had gone through lately, our fight back then seemed like nothing. It was amazing to see how strong we had gotten as a couple. We weren’t perfect and had our problems but I couldn’t believe how lucky I was to have her.

“I was being a bitch”, I admitted with a grin.

“Well, you had every reason to be but when you started getting undressed and told me that I was just there because I wanted to sleep with you…I honestly felt sick to my stomach”, she revealed and I remembered all too well how hurt I had felt back then as well.

“Yeah, feels like a lifetime ago, though. It’s unbelievable what can happen in a year”, I said more in thought now. “We made up at Ally’s house, officially became a couple on Sofi’s Birthday, came out publicly, were separated for months at a time with the tour and then I had to go and get cancer also”, I tried joking but wasn’t sure how she would take that last part. To my relief, she smiled and kissed my temple gently.

“That definitely made things a little more complicated”, she responded while her lips formed a soft smile. “But that also made me realize that I didn’t want to wait any more; it made me propose to you. You had surgery, started chemotherapy; we’ve been living together and now actually got married. I don’t know about you but I think we ended this year on a good note. The wedding was…the happiest day of my life and I think we needed a little highlight after that rollercoaster.”

I nodded in agreement and felt my heart jumping in my chest when I remembered that day and heard my wife talk about it in that loving tone.

“Next year is going to be better”, I said full of conviction and saw Camila smiling wider.

“Oh yeah?”, she asked curiously.

“Absolutely. Just a few more weeks of chemotherapy and then we’ll go back to Miami so I can get my radiation done there and recuperate a little more-“, I started before the light-haired one chimed in.

“And you can get a tan again”, she teased.

“Ok, I think I can do that”, I grinned. “But then we’ll finally go to Italy.”

“Where you’ll get an even better tan and I will feed you pizza and pasta because you could use the extra pounds”, Camila kept going and her joyful smile made me even more excited to make all of these things come true.

“Sounds perfect”, I said honestly because the simple outlook of our future was nothing short of perfect to me.

“What about after Italy, though?”, the other voice appeared again. “I mean, do you want to get back to recording and music when you’re back to normal? Do you have any plans?”