Chapter Twenty-One

Here we go again ... the plot bunny just couldn't stay away. Persistent little fucker. Originally, this began as a dream. When I woke up, I wrote down as much as I could, but it's morphed into something different.

So, this is the big one. We're going to pick up with Bella next chapter. We're going to have a blast from the past at the hospital.

Chapter Twenty-One

"Bella, there's a kid coming in. He's been here before. He's real sick or injured or something," Grace said, her brows furrowed.

"Who?" Bella asaked, signing off on an x-ray for one of her patients. "I need this done stat. The little girl has been in pain for hours and it kills me to see her this way." The nurse nodded, scurrying away to take care of the x-ray. Bella turned back around to Grace. "Grace, who?"

"Jacob Black," Grace replied. "He was at school and he collapsed during gym class. They couldn't get him wake up, bringing him here. He's about ten minutes out."

"Collapsed? How?" Bella barked, her hackles rising and her heart stammering against her ribs.

"They were playing dodge ball and he was tagged out. The ball hit him in the side," Grace said, reading the dispatch notes she'd received from the EMTs. "Do you want him in a trauma room or the peds ER?"

"I should say trauma room, but he's more comfortable in the pediatric rooms," Bella said. "Get a portable chest x-ray, an ultrasound machine and ..." There was a rumble and Bella whimpered. "Not now."

"What?" Grace asked.

"Nothing. I'm going to prepare Jake's room. Page me when he gets here," Bella said, darting off to the pediatric rooms. She got what she thought she needed, along with a cookie from the break room. A few moments later, her cell phone vibrated with a text from Grace. Jake was here. She darted to the ambulance bay, relieved to see Jasper. "Hey, Jas. How is he?"

"He regained consciousness about five minutes away. He's agitated and in a lot of pain," Jasper said, giving Bella the rundown of his symptoms. Bella directed the nurses who took the gurney to bring him peds room five. Jasper pulled her aside. "He's covered in bruises, Bells. He tried to play it off, but I think he's got a cracked rib or two. Plus, he's lost hair from a scalp lac. He said it's fine, but I think it may have healed over, but was infected."

"I'll check him out. Be super specific in your report, Jasper. I'm getting this kid out of the situation," Bella growled. "This is the third time he's been in my ER, covered in bruises."

"Got it. Good luck," he nodded, sauntering over to the nurses' station.

Bella walked briskly to Jake's room. She heard the boy crying, demanding to be let go, but she stepped into the commotion. "Guys, I've got this," Bella said softly, but sternly. Jake looked up, his eyes so very angry, but an undercurrent of fear was hidden in his black orbs. "Long time, no see, Jake."

"Dr. B-B-B-Bella?" he whispered.

"Yep," she said, walking over to him. "Can I get you into these pajamas? They'll fit better than your clothes." She looked at his attire, shocked at how small they were on him. His shoes were so tight that his big toes had burst through the shabby sneakers.

"But, you'll see," he cried, big fat tears falling down his gaunt cheeks.

"Jakey, I know that you're bruised," Bella said, ruffling his hair. "Why don't you change? I'll have my friend ..."

"Dr. Edward?" he asked.

"He's off today," Bella chuckled. "My friend, Riley, who's in school to be a doctor, to come hang out with you. I'm going to get you something to eat. I hear angry grizzly bears in your tummy."