Chapter 1 That Night

It was nighttime in New York City, and the stars glistened throughout the night sky, even with the tall buildings, even if the city was shining brightly. The sky was still clear as day; on a roof of an apartment building, there was a teenage girl. Dark brown hair with dark pink bangs, she wore a jean skirt and black leggings, and She had on a red sweatshirt on this cold night. Her eyes were the color of amber Stone, which gave her the name. Amber. Looking up at the sky, she heard someone calling to her.

"Amber, I'm home!" a voice called from the apartment.

It was Amber's father. His name was James Gene. He was an Archaeologist who loved to learn more about the past. He always went on a fantastic expedition and brought back something extraordinary to show his daughter. Their home looked like it was part of a museum, and there were items from Africa, Scotland, China, and many more worldwide.

"Oh, dad is back!!" said Amber as she was getting up from where she was sitting; she ran to the fire escape and began climbing down the ladder until she got to the fifth floor.

She climbs through the window into her room. Around the room, has newspapers clipping on the walls. They had weird creatures sightings around New York, and of course, Amber couldn't help but read all the stories. I guess you could say she likes the odd things that go bump in the night. The room was messy, with some clothes and papers around the floor and an unmade bed. There were books of creatures and mysteries on the side of the bed. Finally, on the dresser was a picture of a younger Amber with her father and a woman with a sweet smile and kind eyes. It was Amber's mother. Walking into her room smiled at the picture.

"Dad is back home, mom. He is safe and sound, " said Amber with a smile.

Amber walked out of her room and saw her dad taking off his adventure hat and putting it on the hat rack. Amber smiles, run straight at him and jumps on his back.

"Oh *looked over his shoulder and saw his smiling daughter* There is my little lightning bug." Said James with a smile.

"Welcome home, dad!" said the teen with a smile.

James turns around to hug and pick up Amber. He spins her around, and they laugh joyfully. Amber looks up at her dad as they stop.

"What did you bring home this time, dad?" questioned Amber as she looked up at her dad with eyes filled with joy.

"What kind of question is that?..... You know I did," James said as he smiled big and laughed. "Can you get me some tea lighting bug?" he asked Amber.

"Sure, Dad, you're in luck. I got the water boiling, and I bought your favorite kind today," said Amber as she headed into the kitchen.

"Thank you, sweetie; I have been craving some Oolong tea," James said as he grabbed his bag and took it to the living room. Amber filled a cup full of Oolong tea and brought it to him.

James takes the cup and drinks the tea with a smile. He places the cup on a coaster and looks at his daughter with her eyes full of excitement.

"Hehe Can't wait to see what I brought, huh?" James questions the young teen in front of him.

"You know I can't tell dad; you always bring back the most interesting things," Amber Amber excitedly.

"Well, I brought back two things that may interest you," said James

James reaches into the bag and pulls out something small wrapped in a newspaper. He places it on the coffee table in front of them. He then unwrapped the item, and there on the table was a grey statue of a gargoyle with red eyes that shone like Ruby. Amber sat on the couch in awe as she stared at the little figure. She looked at the ruby eyes and felt like the gargoyle's gaze was hypnotizing her.