Chapter 16-Return to the Beach

Thalia is sobbing as quietly as she can which makes it even worse to watch. I am at her side trying to figure out what to do but nothing is coming to my head. Her ankle is almost black and purple and completely swollen, it's so big. Blood seeps from the disgusting wound, the white bone is visible and makes her ankle stick inward. If I had an extremely weak stomach and haven't seen a lot of injuries recently, I would have thrown up.

My hands are hovering over the broken ankle jerking around unsure what to even do. This is bad, this is really, really bad. She probably needs surgery or something because it's bleeding and I can see the bone. Ayden is on the other side of Thalia rubbing her shoulder with a tender look in his eyes, which is freaking me out. What happened to him? Did he get struck by lightning or something?

Jenny is also at my side with Oliver, Teren, and Bree watching closely trying to shout out suggestions to help. But all it's doing is stressing me out making me want to scream at them. Sammy is shielding Elliot and making sure he can't see this.

"Maybe we get leaves and make that into a bandage!" Oliver blurts gesturing over the the giant leaves of the bushes that surround us. We are in a clearing in the middle of the thick jungle but the branches above create a shield from the rain.

"Are you crazy!?" Jenny freaks with bewildered eyes, "Infection will set in because of it! We need to disinfect this!"

Oliver groans loudly, "We don't have anything for disinfecting!" he complains throwing his head back.

"Maybe we go back to the beach and see if the first aid kit survived," Bree suggests putting her hands up.

"It's going to be okay Thalia, just breathe and push through the pain," I tell Thalia calmly trying to keep my face reassuring. I think doctors call this bedside manner. Thalia sniffles loudly looking up at me, her face is blotchy and tear stained. Her eyes are bloodshot from crying making her eyes almost crystal white instead of ice green. She nods stiffly and manages a weak laugh, "Y-Yeah."

Ayden draws closer to her making me feel edgy. I always saw him as an enemy, someone who starts fights on purpose just to fight. Part of me questions if he has the true capability to feel emotion and empathy. Is he pretending now? But why would he pretend for Thalia? I dismiss those thoughts knowing it's off topic and I have to focus on this. This terrible situation. Ayden quickly explained that they were running and tried climbing a tree. After the wave, she slipped and landed on her ankle.

"Why don't you just shut up!" Jenny suddenly explodes earning my attention for a moment.

"Whoa calm down Jen', Bree was only volunteering her and Levi to go back to the beach for supplies," Oliver says slowly putting his hands up in surrender. I give Jenny a surprised look, then I look at Bree. She is frowning at Jenny right now not noticing me. I still feel extremely awkward about her. She kissed me. I didn't want to be kissed, I barely know her. And now I really don't want to know her. What kind of person does that?

"Hey Thalia," Teren scoots in front of her, his brown eyes soft and filled with sympathy, "talk to me, it'll help distract you from the pain."

Thalia sniffles loudly looking up at him, still gripping her shin turning her fingers white. She grits her teeth and closes her eyes, tears dripping off her chin. She nods tightly and then opens her eyes again, kinda relaxing.

"Ask me anything," he encourages gently.

Thalia sniffles and manages a weak smile, "A-Are you really Teren Fox?"

He breaks in a grin, "I sure am."

Thalia blushes while wincing but then smiles, "T-That's r-really cool."