Chapter 27

Layla Cortdale

"Happy birthday" I heard a low, deep whisper

I felt a hot breath against my ear and I involuntary shivered

"Mhmmm" I hummed

I slowly cracked open both of my eyes, embracing the sunlight seeping through the curtains. I turned my head to the side and saw Xavier with a goofy grin plastered on his face. He was on his side, with one of his arm propped up, holding the weight of his head and the other one lazily resting on my waist.

"What time is it?" I asked, yawning

"Almost 9 o'clock"

I groaned, rolling over to my side and going back to sleep. I felt Xavier's hand intertwine with mine, while peppering soft kisses on the side of my neck.

"Xavier, stop" I giggled

"Not until you get up" he said, huskily

I felt his fingers graze over my stomach and dangerously playing with the waistband of my shorts.

"Okay, okay. I'm up" I said in surrender while getting up and resting my head against the headboard

"Dammit, I wanted to keep it going"

I gave him a flat look

He started to chuckle, "I was just teasing, baby"

He moved from the bed and went across the room with his back towards me. He turned back around and I saw him carrying a tray with a silver dome lid and a white Rose in a crystal vase. He set the tray on my lap and sat down comfortably on the bed.

"Breakfast in bed? I could get use to this" I said, giving him a lingering smile

"I wouldn't be so sure, remove the lid"

I did what he said and was shocked at the sight in front of me. I held the black jewelry box and opened it.

"Xavier" I breathed out

I didn't know what to say, I was at a loss of words. The beautiful necklace took my breath away.

"D-do you like it?" He hesitantly asked

"Like it? I love it!" I exclaimed, while hugging him

"Thank you, Xavier"

"No problem, baby"

I pulled away from him and looked at the stunning necklace.

"It's honestly, the sweetest, most thoughtful gift anyone gave me. I love it."

"I'm glad you like it. It used to belong to my mother."

My head quickly snapped to his direction

"What?" I softly said

"She wanted me to give the necklace to my mate, when I found her. It has been in my family for many generations. My father gave this to my mother, I gave it to you and we pass it down to our first child so he or she can give it to their mate."

I felt a teardrop escape my eye. One of Xavier's hand reached up and wiped it away

"I was supposed to give it to you on our first date, but there was some complications"

"I love you so much, Xavier Williams"

"I love you, Layla Cortdale. Forever and always."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mom, please. I can't think about this right now." I sighed while putting on a T-shirt.

My sweet moment with Xavier didn't last long, we both hadbusy schedules. I had softball practice, while he had some paperwork to catch up on. He promised me we would do something for my birthday, but he was being very discreet. I told him I didn't want any surprises. I just wish we could go back to bed and cuddle, watch a movie and eat pizza. Now that is one hell of a birthday wish.