-1-

-AFTER THE PAST-

Clowns.

Floating Clowns.

They're all around me, jesting and mocking.

I am floating too, everything is afloat, even the walls.

They don't look scary and I begin to feel comfortable. Suddenly, I'm falling fast.

I look at the clowns but they aren't there anymore and all I see are neon lines swirling in the darkness.

I'm still falling, it seems like an endless fall and I lost track if time as I fall farther into the abysmal darkness

Someone is singing.

The voice is distant and I barely hear the lyrics but I know someone is singing.

The conciliatory melody seems to call me and I become frantic when I realize there's no means of escape. The neon lines flicker and dies out leaving me in a thick fog of nothingness.

The falling makes me feel sick and lightheaded. I have a strong urge to feel solidity but there's nothing to hold on to.

I stop falling and I see myself in a room. It's pure white. Everything is spotless. The walls seem solid unlike the ones I had seen earlier so I reach for it in order to satisfy my urge of feeling solidity.

I trail a finger across the wall and I smile feeling the firmness underneath my skin

"Oh my god. She just moved a finger!" Someone shouts.

I turn back but there's no one, instead I see a large wave coming towards me.

I want to run but I'm transfixed. I close my eyes and anticipate the chill of the water, it was warm. Too warm.

An unremitting noise starts. It sounds like my alarm clock but much more annoying

"Her heart rate is rising"

The voice is muffled because I'm underwater. The water blocks my ears and fills my senses.

"She's waking up"

The water begins to spiral and I begin to move upward towards the light above.

I feel a touch on my neck but there's no one behind me. Another touch on my feet causes me to flinch. Soon I can feel a touch everywhere and I fight them wriggling and trying to swim faster towards the light.

"What's happening to her!"

Someone is crying??

I'm closer to the light now so I swim faster towards the voices and away from the darkness beneath

"Madam please you need to leave now. She'll be fine"

The voices are clearer now and the light is brighter. A few more strokes and I'm out of the water.

"She's stable Doctor"

Using the last of my strength, I take a final stroke and immediately bring my head out of the water as I gasp for air.

"She's awake!"

My vision is blurry for a while but I can hear perfectly.

The acrid smell of antiseptic fills my lung and I gag. There's something in my throat. It feels like a tube but I'm not certain.

Blurred blue and white Images swarm over me, but a certain one is still.

My vision begins to clear out but I can barely keep my eyes open due to the heaviness of my lids.

"Shemaiah"

I open my eyes and the still white image is now a man.

He's smiling showing pearly white teeth that contrasts with his dark skin. He's wearing a white coat but his red tie is peeking out.

"Shemaiah" he says looking at me intently

What is he saying?

"Shemaiah can you hear me?"

Shemaiah.

I know what it is.

Shemaiah. It's a name.

It's my name.

I'm Shemaiah

"move a finger if you can hear me"

I can hear him quite alright but I don't understand what he's telling me to do.

"Shemaiah" he says again

I want to say something. I want to ask him why there's a tube in my throat but it seems I lost the ability to form words.

"I think she can hear me, I can see it from her eyes" he moves away from me and goes farther to my left.

I try to turn my head to see where he's going but I can't. My neck wouldn't move.

What's happening to me.

I begin to panic because I seem to have lost control of my body.

My eyes burns as tears begin to form and soon the tears blurrs my vision

"Doctor Azeez, she's crying" A light skinned lady in blue scrubs announces dabbing my face gently with a tissue. There's a tag that says 'CHIOMA' attached to her left breast pocket.

I know the letters but I can't pronounce the word. more tears run down my cheeks as the doctor comes to my side.

"As expected" he chuckles.

"Send them in" the doctor says and another woman in similar scrubs heads for the door.

The door is in my line of vision so I don't need to turn my head to see anyone going in or out.

I've stopped crying now and the light skinned lady pats my cheek with a smile plastered on her face.

The door opens and two people walk in. A woman and a girl. There's a striking resemblance between them, even their eyes are both red and puffy The girl clutches the woman hand as they make their way towards me. A wave of nostalgia hit me as I catch a whiff of their scent.

I know them.

"Sweetheart" the woman whispers coming closer to my bed.

My eyes follow hers as they begin to well up. The girl comes to stand beside the woman by my bedside with a sad smile.

"It's me, mommy" the woman says but I can't comprehend.

"You'll be fine okay, I promise you" her voice trails off as I feel myself slipping into a sweet sleep

I try to keep my eyes open but I can't control it.

"The shots will make her sleep for a bit....when she awakens she'd be more responsive" a masculine voice says

"Thank you Doctor, I just want my daughter to be fine. Please help us"

I recognize the voice of the woman.

"Of course. Let's discuss in my office Ms. Hassanat"

"Jael, stay here with your sister." The woman says.

Jael.

I know Jael.

A warm hand holds mine and I hear the song again. That same melody but I still cannot figure out the lyrics.

Memories flood my mind. Memories of this woman and this girl I have just seen.

I remember them instantly and get excited but my excitement remains contained as I can't even open my eyes at this point.

The rhythmic caress on my hand matchs the solemn song. It makes me feel at ease and I decide to rest my head.

As I let the sleep engulf me, there's no darkness nor clowns nor neon lines. Instead, I dream happy dreams of my mother and sister.