They smile

The notes splattered across the table were all soiled, the ink dribbled down the page merging all the words together with tears and leaving them unreadable. The pages were badly creased at the corners, clearly indicating the pages had been manically flicked through repeatedly, incessantly.

Neil slammed his fist on the the table so roughly that his shaking knuckles were skinned and bleeding, his eyes blazing. He crumbled in to loud helpless cries as he lowered his head on to table, it happened everytime he looked through these pages. It lead him deeper in to the middle of a dark and desolate place, where bitter reality hit him harder. He hoped to find something new each time, something he must have missed... but it lead him nowhere.

The crying exhausted him enough that sleep slowly settled on to his heavy eyelids, his breathing finally settled and the pages stuck to the sticky tears on his face.

.....

In frustration she didn't know how to channel she kicked the gravestone infront of her, in a mess of fragmented sobs and screams. She fell to the floor immediately after, folding her hands as if begging for forgiveness and mercy, kissing the stone repeatedly and gently tracing her finger over the name.

"Kyu!?" She screeched in to the fearfully silent air around her. "Kyu maa? Kyu mujhe chood khi gaya?"

She ran her trembling fingers through her messy hair, panting heavily, her broken eyes closed tightly.

"Aap ko nahi jhanti hai Neela ma... aap ki jaane ke baad mera saath kya kya hogaya hai... kya kya bardash kiya hai mein maa" Avni's words were a painful whisper, as if the liveliness of her voice had died. "Par ab mein thak chuka hu... mujhe aap ki bina yeh sab handle karne ke nahi aata... please maa... bring me to you... I'm too tired please..."

...

DD walked in to the office and the sight was of no surprise to him, he had found himself here and saw this sight for countless nights on end.

He rang Neil's apartment and it came back unanswered, he knew exactly where to find him. So there he was at roughly 1 am in the station looking over Neil who had fallen asleep at his desk in tears again.

DD sighed heavily with eyes that lightly watered seeing the pages that were scattered across the workspace, he collected now useless pages and chucked them in the bin. He went over to the copier, being careful not to make any noise to wake Neil. And printed out the files again. He arranged them neatly on Neil's desk placing the bracelet on top of it that he knew Neil always religiously never seperated from the file.

He lugged Neil's sleeping body as gently as he could and lied him down on to the sofa, that he had already arranged for Neil to sleep comfortably on. He started walking out, flipping the switch behind him and rubbing away his tears with the back of his hand.

He prayed with his loyal sincere heart that somebody comes soon to change Neil back in to the Neil he used to be, the fun-loving carefree boy that he had been friends with since childhood that he had lost somewhere in destroyed dreams and dreadfully agonising mourning.

......

She turned the temperature higher, it wasn't hot enough. She scrubbed her skin mercilessly, the shower water camouflaging her soul baring tears.

Now it was hot enough, this is what she needed. She bit her lip roughly as the cascading water scalded her, searing her flesh. Finally she felt a lighter, less burdened, as if she could burn the sin, the grime, the pain off her that easily... as if they were physical things.

She rubbed at herself brutally, so harshly that she soon drew droplets of blood to the surface of her skin. She felt dirty.

'Dirty. Dirty. Dirty. Dirty. Dirty'