He wondered if she’d heard his allegations about Chief Caswell.

Thinking back to last night, he wondered if she’d recognized him. He’d deceived her so easily and even infiltrated Central Station while on her watch. Thanks to him, she was even held at gunpoint by Marco. With her there, he assumed Captain Maddox was nearby.

“I’ll handle it from here,” she informed her subordinates. “Vale, come with me.” She turned her heels in the direction Central Station and walked unperturbed. Tentatively, Nole followed, meeting the nasty looks given by the rookie guards. He also checked on Zane in the distance, but he couldn’t see him. Change of plans, Nole noted, hoping that Zane would hold off until further instruction.

Hadley led him through the barricade and into the front entrance of the station without so much as a word. Inside the building, other Enforcers buzzed around the main lobby. Nole wasn’t surprised by the many gawks he received. Though the entire atmosphere was unnerving, he kept moving until he was beyond the many desks.

Passing the glass-paned office, they entered the interrogation room where she and Captain Maddox had been working the night before. “Take a seat,” she offered, placing herself in one of the chairs at the single rectangular table in the middle of the room. Closing the door behind him, he did as he was told.

“Did you hear what I said out there?” he dared to inquire.

“I’ll be asking the questions,” she retorted firmly. Setting her elbows on the table, she laced her fingers and placed them in front of her face. He eyed the misleading mirror that spanned nearly the entire length of the wall. Who’s watching me from the other side of that mirror? Maddox? Caswell? He wasn’t sure which option was worse.

Hadley cleared her throat to initiate the questioning. “Are you a Para?” The first question immediately caught him off guard. He shook his head vigorously in response. “Former Para member?” she insisted. He shook his head again. “What were those two men doing here last night? From our surveillance tapes, we know you didn’t arrive together. We have intel that they are up and coming Para recruits.”

He wasn’t sure what to tell her. Right then and there, he had to decide whether or not the Captain could be trusted. “Let me inform you,” she added, “your brother is still in our custody, so your cooperation would be most beneficial in your situation.”

He clenched his fists under the table. He was being pushed into a corner, with no choice but to oblige.

“I’m not entirely sure, but they might have been looking for investigation records for Dr. Murphy’s murder.”

“And why would they be doing that?”

“Because they know I’m innocent.”

She squinted her eyes at the statement.

“If you’re innocent, who’s guilty?” She was challenging him. This was a test to see if he would stick to his allegations or abandon ship.

“Someone within the Enforcers,” he answered. “Most likely Chief Caswell.”

Unlacing her fingers, she propped her head up with one hand and tapped the table with the fingers of the other.

“That’s some accusation. Is that what you’re sticking with?” Nole stared at her, unsure if the question was rhetorical. “Are you aware that there is outstanding evidence pointing to you as the murderer?”

“The evidence was either misanalysed or planted.”

“And the evidence you have?” she contested.