Chapter 5

Megan (Sunday Morning)

I had the worst night sleeping. I tossed, turned, and kept checking the digital clock on the night table in the bedroom. I finally drifted off to sleep at around 3 a.m. Brandon's words about all of the mistakes in my adoption papers, kept playing in my mind like a broken record. John McKay could get custody of my little girl.

I had Liliana sleep in my bedroom last night. I wanted her near me. I kept watching the rise and fall of her chest, as she slept peacefully. She was oblivious to what was going on around her. How my world was crumbling around me. Her black curls are all over her pillow and she looks serene, as she sleeps.

I want her to stay that way, and with me always.

I was so thankful to Alex that he brought us to his mother's house to be safe. It's beautiful here, and I'm still astounded that Cecilia Corwin has taken to my daughter, as a grandmother. It's an incredible honor the way this whole family has taken us in. And they are doing everything in their power to help us.

Liliana opened her chocolate eyes, and put her little arms around my neck. "Good morning mommy, what are we doing today?"

I hugged her so tightly. "Good morning my love bug, we should probably get dressed for breakfast. We can see what Mr. Alex has planned for us to do today." Then I couldn't resist tickling her, and hearing her giggle.

We got dressed, and joined the family for breakfast in the breakfast room. This house is so huge, they have a separate room just for breakfast.

"Good morning, everyone." I pretended to be cheerful.

"Good morning, we were waiting for you. Would you like to sit by me, Liliana?" Mrs. Corwin addressed us so sweetly.

"Mommy, can I sit by Grandma Corwin?" Liliana, was thrilled to have a grandma figure in her life. She never had that before.

"Sure honey. I'm going to sit by Mr. Alex." I smiled, but it didn't reach my eyes.

Chance and Avalon spent the night here also. They were just coming down to breakfast to join us. Everyone tried to act as if everything was fine and dandy.

"Good morning, Chance and Avalon. I hope everyone is hungry, the cook prepared a huge Sunday breakfast. Brandon should be here any minute. You know he loves free food." Mrs. Corwin announced. You could tell, she was happy to be surrounded by her three sons, daughter-in-law, and now two extra guests. One guest happens to call her, Grandma.

I would never imagine seeing this side of Mrs. Corwin. Wonders never cease.

"I was thinking, I would love to have a tea party outside in our garden. It's such a lovely day, and I have a surprise for you after that." Mrs. Corwin leaned over and spoke to Liliana, and her whole face lit up.

"I was going to ask if you wanted to go sailing with me, Megan. My dad's boat is at the Marina, not far from here." Alex waited for me to decide.

"Is it okay if Avalon and I come sailing with you guys? I haven't been on dad's boat in a long time." Chance looked at Alex, hoping he'd say yes.

"Sure, the more the merrier. If Megan wants to go." He added.

"Sailing sounds lovely. I better change my clothes." I finally answered him.

"You guys, enjoy your time. I know, Liliana and I will." Mrs. Corwin had a wide mischievous grin on her face.

What was that about?

We drove down to the Marina in Alex's car and parked. We got the cooler of food and drinks, we had packed, out of the trunk. Then we headed for the boat.

It was some boat. . .with contoured leather wrapped seats and contrasting stitching, a wood grain dash, with high tech shiny chrome gauges. The cabin below deck, had sleeping accommodations for four people. Corwin V was written on the side of the boat.

"This boat, was my father's pride and joy. He used to take us sailing every weekend. We were younger, and life was less complicated. Those were good times. I wanted a reminder of those days, so here we are." Alex reminisced about his dad, who he missed so much.

I stood behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist. I leaned my forehead against his back and whispered, "I'm sorry you lost your father, I never told you that."

He turned around, leaned down, and pressed a kiss to my lips. It was a sweet and breathtaking moment. We ignored Chance and Avalon being there. When he broke the kiss, our hearts were racing out of control. He leaned his forehead against mine.

I was definitely falling for Alex. It felt good to comfort him in that moment, like he's been doing for me.

"My father's favorite song when we were growing up was, Sailing, by Christopher Cross. When it came on the radio, he would blast it. My brothers and I would sing it along with him. I still love that song, I have it on my iPod." Alex spoke so fondly of his memories.

"Hey, this boat has a USB port. Do you have your iPod? We can play the song." Chance was looking around for an iPod cord, to connect to the port. Alex, ran to his car to get his iPod.

He came back with a cord in his hand, and a gorgeous smile.

"I miss Dad too, I can't believe he's gone. It's nice to be out on the water in his boat. We have to start taking the boat out again." Chance wrapped his arms around Avalon, snuggled up to her, and enjoyed being out on the water.

Alex turned on the song, Sailing, and put his arm around me. We sat back and enjoyed our day on the water, in their father's boat. It was the perfect day. Great weather and I loved the wind blowing through my thick auburn tresses. It took my worries away, for that moment in time.

So did the man sitting next to me.

This was a nice, unexpected day for all of us. We just escaped for a couple of hours. When we got back home, I found Liliana. She was with her new grandmother, playing with a huge custom dollhouse in the great room. She had it delivered to the house for Liliana. I was so beyond touched at her generosity and obvious affection for my daughter.

"Mommy, look at my new dollhouse that Grandma Corwin got me. Isn't it awesome?" She skipped back to play with her dollhouse. Mrs. Corwin was having so much fun spoiling her. She really wanted a grandchild, which was crystal clear to everyone.

I'm so happy to see Liliana enjoy being a kid. And not having to worry about the grownup problems, I have to deal with tomorrow.

Alex grabbed my hand and walked me outside onto the back deck. It sat above a patio with a pool. They had a nice patio swing, that we sat in together. I rested my head on his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around me, as I fell asleep. I was comforted by the fact, he was there holding me. He let me take a nap for an hour, before waking me up for dinner.

I woke up to his ocean blue eyes, staring directly into mine. He gave me a look, that gave me goosebumps. I wanted to stay lost in his arms forever. I didn't want to contemplate what tomorrow would bring. There was such peace and serenity being with Alex. I didn't realize I was missing someone like him in my life.

Liliana, knew that we both were.

  ~Don't Forget To Vote/Comment~❤️