One

-?'s point of view-

All I can hear is hard rain hitting against the roof of the truck, distant thunder, and the low murmur of the engine. It's relaxing. I've always loved car rides. The calm bumping of the seats, hum of an engine, and if you're the passenger you get to relax in silence with company. My family has never been able to afford a car radio so we just sit in a comforting quiet. No words. No humming. Just the simple hum of our old car. I sadly am no longer a part of that family. And car rides have an underlaying sadness now, but at least my company respects my wish for silence.
The town we're currently driving in is completely abandoned. We haven't seen a single car or person. All the buildings look old with dim lightings. Me and Garret have been finding these places sense I was 14 but we've never been to one that still had electricity.

Wow. It looks creepy...have any of these places still have electricity?

Nevermind. Mentally chuckling I listen to my friend Parker speak. He's sitting behind the driver seat next to Rosa. She looks up from her little doodles.

No. It's weird. Normally electric makes a place feel alive and comforting. But...somehow here it makes it feel deader.

How long ago did everyone that lived here vanish?

About ten years ago. Everyone just vanished on October 22nd, 1998

This place gives me the creeps. How have you and Mo gone to places like these for so long?

I guess I should chime in.

...

I don't like talking.
I don't know how to be honest. Seeing the ashes of the dead, seeing their homes abandoned, it's feels so wrong. Almost like I'm invading. Lurking through their memories and homes. Stealing in a way.

It's a long story Parker.

Oh come on Garret please tell us!

I look over at Garret. His dull blue eyes looking at the road ahead, a scruffy beard gray with age, his tan skin wrinkled, and worked hands on the old wheel of the truck. He glances at me and I look away not wanting the talking to start again. I would much rather be in awkward silence than awkward talk about how me and Gar met.

Hey Mo?

Yeah?

I glance at Parker. He yawns.

Can I wear your hoodie? I'm pretty cold and mine is in the back.

Before I can respond Rosa pulls off her jacket and hands it to him. I catch him look at her defined curves, frizzy afro, and deep brown skin. I chuckle to myself.

Here ya go Baby.

Thanks Mama.

He slips on her jacket. Curious to know how Rosa and Parker met I ask.

How did you and Rosa meet?

Oh honey I was in the Church choir down in Louisiana . Parker went to the church on weekends with his family.

That's all I really remember about how we met. One day we just started talking and it it off. When Mama joined us I was so happy.

He smiles and pushes up his glasses.

Why do you call Rosa mama?

Because DAMN Mamaaa, have you seem her curvessss?

Baby, Jesus is watching you. Watchin'!

We all laugh. Parker jokingly wiggles his eyebrows at the curvy woman.

Baby, how old are you again?

Almost 25. Why?

I am old enough to be your real mama now hush.

You know you love me.

Smiling I look back out of the window to the empty road. After a while of listening to Parker and Rosa chat I fall asleep to their joyful voices.