Chapter 4

Alex

Megan called me this morning, to tell me what happened with John McKay. I couldn't believe I was awake, and that this wasn't some type of nightmare. I hung the phone up last night, and made plans to spend the day with her and Liliana, tomorrow.

The fear that gripped her, was palpable through the phone. I needed to get to her and Liliana, as quickly as possible. I had to get them away from her apartment. They needed to be situated someplace safe. I realized in that moment, how much I cared about her and Liliana.

First, I called Barbara at my office. "Good morning Barbara. I'm not coming in today,
after all. I have an urgent matter to take care of. I'm going to be taking a few days off. If anyone needs me, you can contact me. I will return their phone call. You can take the day off today. Chance should be in on Monday." I was trying not to alert her.

"Okay, Mr. Corwin. I hope everything is alright. I'll see you in a few days." Barbara didn't want to pry. But I could tell her wheels were turning, wondering what happened.

I apprehensively, called my mother. With the way she initially treated Avalon, I was skeptical. I had no clue how she would respond to the news about Megan and Liliana staying at her house, and the trouble facing them.

"You bring that sweet little girl, and her mother here. Alex, they're in trouble and if you feel they'll be safe here, I want to help. Megan is like a sister to Avalon, so she and her daughter are like family. I'll get everything ready for them to stay." I hung up the phone wondering who this woman was, and what she did with my mother?

Flashback. . .

I went to Megan's apartment to get them, and she flew into my arms. She was so happy to see me. I held her, as she broke down. I wiped her tear streaked face. I held Liliana with my free arm.

"Mr. Alex, please don't let that mean man take me away from my mommy. I'm scared of him."  Liliana began to cry.

I became angry with this unbelievable situation. "Shhh sweetie, I will not let that man take you away from your mommy." I wanted to reassure her.

I packed everything in my car. I even put Liliana in her booster seat, and kissed the top of her head. Megan gave me a real smile. I gave her a comforting hug. I couldn't help leaning down and brushing my lips against hers, before she got in the car. Then, we drove away from her apartment. I held her hand, and thought about that amazing kiss.

Megan looked over at me in a daze. "Where are we going? I never asked."

"I'm taking you someplace, you'll both be safe. My mother's house is in a suburb outside of the City. My brother, Brandon, is coming to go over your adoption paperwork. Chance and Avalon are coming over my mom's house when they get back in town today. I just want you to be safe." I interlaced my fingers with hers and brought her hand to my lips.

She simply stated, "Okay." She pecked my cheek. The gravity of the situation must have hit her.

End of Flashback. . .

I'm glad we're settled in, at my mother's house. Brandon, is here going over Megan's adoption paperwork, she brought with her. We had lunch and my mother is in the great room with Liliana, watching 101 Dalmatians. I've never seen this side of my mother.

She had an instant attachment to Liliana, kind of like I did. . . .

Chance and Avalon are on their way here from the airport. I'm worried about Megan. She hasn't said two words all day. She look alarmed, with her shoulders tense. She's wondering what Brandon will find after going through all of the adoption paperwork.