Icicle jr x Reader

You headed outside, wanting to get a gulp of fresh air, away from the Bel Reve. You could feel the crazy and the post-mortem emotions from the patients and nurses around here. You needed out. You opened the door leading to the back courtyard breathing in deeply, grateful that not too many patients were around. You kept walking heading towards the bench when she spotted your fellow inmate, McGee, waving his hand above his head, beckoning you to join him. You noticed the new inmate from the night before walking beside your him, head swiveling on his shoulders as he took in his surroundings. You could tell even from a distance that McGee was giving his "grand tour speech".

The very same one he regaled you with, so many months before. The new kid probably could use a break, if his facial expression was anything to go by. You tried to focus to get a read on the kid, but even with all the "background noise", it didn't take a whole lot of effort. He was oozing with anxiety. It was a tad bit overwhelming, if you was being honest with yourself. Normally, you would bypass someone with such strong emotions, partly because you didn't want to be overcome by feelings that weren't your own, but there was something about this boy who had requested - personally - to be trialled as an adult. You still remembered his eyes. They were a gorgeous, icy blue. The colour of the lake you recalled your father being particularly fond of. They had left an impression on you, that's for sure.

As if reading your mind, those eyes of his stopped their endless searching when they found yours. It was strange, almost as if he could feel that you were watching him. His anxiety seemed to ease a bit, you could tell. "Surely, that was purely coincidental," You thought to herself. The boy's lips quirked, almost in a smile, but it was obvious he was unsure of himself. You decided to give him a break and return his smile.

"That's (Y/N)," you overheard McGee tell the boy, as they drew nearer to where you stood. You nodded, acknowledging what he said. Then, as if the boy had second thoughts, he asked, "Are you two...you know, together? You seem... close." You scoffed, inwardly cringing at the thought of actually dating McGee.

"No, McGee and I are are not together. Please, think a little more highly of me, new kid," You said smiling. McGee placed a hand over his heart, feigning being hurt. The grin that spread across the new boy's face did not go unnoticed by her.

"Guess what?" he said a playful smile forming on his lips. "Yesterday I swallowed a freaking bug. I swear it's still buzzing inside me. Then, just after dinner, that asshole, the orderly with the fringe, did a surprise inspection. Tied me to the bed, using his personal favorite: Five Points," he recounted his story, with a huge smile, like he was actually proud of being caught with whatever he was hiding under his pillow and being subdued for it.

"That's disgusting, McGee," the boy said, scrunching his nose. Your stomach did a somersault, which you did your best to ignore, continuing the conversation.

"You weirdo, you're proud of that? You'd better watch out, you'll scare newbie here away," You joked. "Does newbie, happen to have a name?" You asked, raising your eyebrows in question.

"Yeah, uh, Ca-Cameron," he stuck his hand out in front of him. You eyeballed the blushing boy and gave him a firm handshake.

"Welcome to Arkham 2.0., Cameron, where the food is disgusting, the showers are cold, and the doctors are nuttier than the patients" You informed. Instead of acknowledging it like you thought he would, he shifted his weight, clearly uncomfortable with being in the loony bin.

"So... Where's the ladies in this place?" he asked, looking at you.

"Over there," you said pointing to the left wing of the building.

Standing by the phones was Diedre Vance, one of the least sane patients at Bel Rev. You remembered the first week of being here, you were constantly in solitary. Diedre was also there for the same reason; trying to escape but of course you both had been caught. Diedre, you noticed, had often visited the pay phone. You tried eavesdropping on the one-sided conversation many times, but the sentences made no sense, they were just a series of riddles.

Cameron had walked up to the payphone, waiting behind the a pair of rather large men, while you remained lost in thought. You walked towards the pair, sticking with the newbie.

"Dad? Hey. It's me. Your only son, remember? I made it, the big leagues..."

Suddenly, the man Cameron was addressing pushed - with an annoyed sigh- his fist forward, punching Cameron squarely on the jaw. The boy flew sideways, clutching the side of his face. You gasped, kneeling next to him. An orderly came running trying to subdue the man who punched him. The three of them argued for a while before the professor arrived, stopping the scene before them. You didn't really pay attention, just looked at Icicle and gingerly moved his fingers from his face. He grimaced, but didn't say much, just tilting his head so you could get a better view.

"Woah. That is one strong jaw line if I ever did see one," you thought as you 'checked' it out.

"So, did you just fall for me?" You asked, trying to bring a smile to Cameron's face. And soon enough there it was. You couldn't remember the last time someone's smile had actually made your day.

"That was the cheesiest shit I've ever heard. You really expected that to work?" Cameron questioned with a chuckle.

"Guys seem to think that line works for them, why not me? I thought I'd give it a go," you grinned.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 'sorry if this was short and poorly written, I've got a few requests to go through.

Please vote and comment