I. Zelenia

Like gradually waking from a night of slumber, Zelenia's vision cleared, and she sat in a vast meadow under a sky split in two—a golden sky and the night sky sprinkled with stars. Water flowed freely over rocks in clear streams around her. The scent of earth was strong with its various floral smells and the rust of dirt. The heat of the sun pressed down on her, but a soft breeze kept her comfortable, making the flowers dance. Her neck hairs prickled at the dark power swirling through everything, but instead of frightening her, it had her excited.

The Silent Realms: where the Elements, the Sun and Moon, and the souls of the deceased rested. Movement caught her attention; translucent bubbles of spirits drifted around the flowers and softly billowed in the breeze to be taken some place else.

Just the sight of the contented souls brought a smile to her lips. Being charged with the guidance of the dying, Zelenia could sense the resentment in a mortal leaving Ethea and always feared they would never accept their fate. One death in particular still plagued her—a mother of three children, gravely injured after an attack of Fangril's demons. But seeing the souls' happiness eased the doubt haunting her. Melancholy could not be felt here, only peace.

But she wasn't brought just for a visit.

On some silent command, all the souls gathered before her, creating a wall of writhing translucent orbs. When the squirming halted and they melded together, a large reflective square hung suspended in the middle of the meadow.

Her reflection gave Zelenia a start; the reflection staring back at her looked older, more mature and breathtakingly beautiful. She herself was only thirteen, but the mirror reflected a woman, fully developed and well into her prime. No wrinkles marred her face, the face wasn't so childish and innocent looking, and her pale, blemish-free skin glowed softly like the moon.

The long silver hair matched her own—even with a mixture of light and dark blue ribbons weaved throughout it—but the reflection's hair was longer and billowed in a breeze Zelenia could not feel. Her eyes were a clearer and sharper pale blue, almost icy, but deep intelligence, wisdom, and experience flickered within that Zelenia's did not have.

The woman wore a pure white dress, smooth on her slim figure and slit at the middle so her posture could mirror Zelenia's; the rest flared out around her on the ground. She realized what all the semblances meant.

The older Zelenia smiled sweetly once the younger Zelenia realized who she looked at. The smile comforted her immediately, like a trickling stream. Zelenia returned the smile. So that's how her smile affected her patients, for when she smiled, relief washed over their pains.

My name is Mirora; I am the Moon. Her voice flowed coolly over Zelenia's skin, softer than a whisper.

The picture behind her older reflection rippled until a full moon appeared, floating in the endless starry sky. The moon highlighted a dark beach with its midnight waters rushing in and out on the sandy shore. A few dark palm trees swayed in the quiet wind.

Young Zelenia, I have given you the blessings of the Moon—Queen of the Night. Quiet and withdrawn but undoubtedly strong in spirit—Soulguide. Silent power rests within you, but you are not one to be tempted into anger—Ruler of the Tides. Gentle and soft but fiercely determined—Priestess of Air.

Yet, you are not alone, but part of a pair.

A ripple, like a single water droplet, disturbed the image of Mirora and the serene landscape behind her. The picture transformed into a bright scene of rolling plains and plentiful grasslands. White clouds of sheep and spotted cows grazed under the watchful gaze of the sun blazing overhead in the clear sky.