Prologue

Megan's Message:

"This story is for all of those people who love, love. It seems at times to only occur in romance novels, but I found a forever love for my daughter and myself. I wasn't looking for it, but when it hit me there was no turning back. . . . This isn't your average love story. This is how I found a unique gift, Because of Liliana."

Megan

This was a busier than normal Monday morning at The Coffee Bar. Avalon and Chance's wedding was amazing this weekend. Now, back to reality for me. I had to jump in and help my baristas, since they were getting swamped with orders. I had just come out of my office doing paperwork, when in walked, Alex Corwin.

He came up to me and stood two inches from my face. "My brother told me this was the best coffee in Midtown, Manhattan. I had to try it for myself. Good morning Megan, and how is Liliana?" He spoke so animatedly and smelled so good.

I had to remember what he asked, I was so distracted by his presence. "Good morning Alex, I think you'll enjoy our coffee. Liliana is doing good, she didn't want to go back to school today. She was still excited from the wedding on Saturday."

He stared very deeply into my eyes, as he replied. "I'm happy she enjoyed being a flower girl in the wedding. She was beautiful and so were you, by the way. I'm not trying to cut the line. . . I wanted to come over and speak to you, in case someone else made my coffee."

I was putty in his hands after that compliment. "I can make your coffee, I do have rank." I chuckled. "What would you like?" I blushed looking at his gorgeous face.

"I'll take a large hazelnut coffee with cream and sugar. I like a lot of cream, not too sweet." He stood to the side, and waited for me to make his cup of coffee.

"I guess it pays to know the manager. I've been waiting on line for ten minutes." A disgruntled customer commented.

"I'm sorry, someone will be right with you ma'am." I quickly apologized to avoid a confrontation with the woman.

My hands were shaking as I handed Alex his coffee. "Here you are, it's on the house. I hope you are a satisfied customer and will come again." I can't believe that just came out of my mouth. I don't normally say cheesy stuff like that.

He chuckled, and grabbed the coffee from my shaking hands."I'm sure I'll love it. Thank you so much. Make sure to tell Liliana, I said hello. Have a nice day Megan."

Then I did the unthinkable, before he walked away. "Alex, I wanted to invite you to Liliana's Kindergarten Graduation this Friday. Avalon would be there, but her and Chance are still on their honeymoon. I'd like someone besides me to be there for her." I held back the tears that glistened in my eyes.

"I would be honored to come. What time is her graduation? Maybe we could take her to lunch afterward. I'll let my secretary know to clear my schedule for Friday." His willingness to come and take off from work astonished me.

"It's at 10 a.m. Can I have your cellphone number? I'll text you her school's address? She will enjoy going to lunch to celebrate also. Thank you for suggesting that." I kept telling myself that I was doing this for Liliana.

The truth is—I will enjoy having Alex come to Liliana's kindergarten graduation just as much as her.

Flashback. . .

I walked down the aisle proceeding Avalon at her and Chance's wedding on Saturday. I was her maid of honor and Chance's brother Alex, was his best man. Liliana, was so excited to be the flower girl.

Alex gave me an unnerving stare that sent my senses out of control. I didn't know him well and I couldn't read his expression, but it got my attention. He was so handsome with very dark brown hair. It was so dark, it looked black. His eyes were like the sea. He was tall, with an athletic build and a cleft in his chin.

If you looked in the dictionary under gorgeous, you would see his picture there. I had to get myself in check. I was a single mother, with my five year old daughter at the top of my priority list.

Avalon and Chance had their first dance, as husband and wife. Liliana wanted to dance, but she surprised me in not wanting to dance with me.

"Mommy, can I ask Mr. Alex to dance with me?" Her big expressive chocolate eyes beamed up at me in anticipation of my answer.

"Of course love bug. I'm sure Mr. Alex, would love to dance with you." I tried not to sound hurt that she didn't pick me as her dance partner. My baby girl is growing up.

She ran over to Alex, with her black curls bouncing excitedly. "Mr. Alex, would you dance with me?" She held her hand over her mouth, giggling.

He knelt down to her. "Liliana, I couldn't think of a better dance partner. You are the prettiest flower girl I've ever seen." He stood up, took her hand, and began to dance with her. It touched my heart to see how kind he was to my daughter.

He was also like that the day we met him for the first time at the Macy's Flower Show. Liliana took to him instantly—I was surprised. She doesn't take to strangers easily. But there was something different about, Alex Corwin.

I've seen the way Liliana looks at other families, with both a mommy and a daddy. Could she be missing a father in her life? I always thought I was enough for her. It's been the two of us since the day she came into my life as an infant. I was her foster parent and then I got to adopt her. She has always been my whole world.

Laughter came from Alex's deep voice as he twirled Liliana around. She giggled and disrupted my thoughts. My breath caught, as I watched the two of them on the dance floor. It was intoxicating to watch my little girl, with this dashing father figure. They almost looked like father and daughter. I don't want her to get her hopes set on Alex Corwin, only to have them dashed to pieces. I'm sure he's not looking for a ready made family.

He is twenty-nine years old, unattached, and I'm sure he's not lacking for female attention. I wasn't looking for a husband, before this moment. I know that Alex isn't looking for me. How do I get this ridiculous notion out of her mind? How do I get Alex out of my mind?

End of Flashback. . .

Alex leaned in close to me and his smell was electrifying. My heart started fluttering. "Okay, I saved your phone number in my contacts. I'll see you two ladies on Friday morning."

Without thinking . . . I blurted out, "It's a date." I turned a nice shade of purple after saying that. What was I thinking?

Alex simply gave me the most adorable smile, and I couldn't help noticing that cleft in his chin. "It is a date—with two special ladies." He cleared his throat, said goodbye, and walked out of the door.

Liliana, is going to be so excited when I tell her the news. If I make it through the day and home to share it. My heart is beating so rapidly. I didn't realize how happy I would be.

~Votes/Comments Appreciated~❤️