s e v e n t e e n

Start from the beginning

Dad pursed his lips. "Okay, is Mia going at least?"

"Yes." Thankfully.

"Any other girls I know?"

"Beth is going," I added.

Dad arched his brow. He looked more surprised than I was after Daniel told me Beth agreed to go.

"I didn't know you two were friends again."

We weren't exactly friends. But I was too nervous that dad would say no, so I nodded, "Yeah, we made up this year."

"Oh, that's good. I remember you two were practically inseparable when you were in primary school."

I nodded and remained quiet. I felt bad not telling dad the whole truth, but I couldn't bring myself to tell him. At least dad was okay with me going.

I heard the door opened and closed. I looked up from my textbook and found Daniel walking in. He smiled and waved a small hello at me before he headed straight to the back corner of the café. That was his favourite spot. He always goes there whenever he comes in early before my shift ends. And he only comes whenever we have ballroom classes after work.

I noticed Lucy peering over to Daniel every once in a while as I served another customer. I could already tell what she was thinking. I loved Lucy, but she had a habit of meddling with other people's lives. And I was somewhat nervous of what she was thinking.

"Ellie, why don't you go and serve your friend over there," she suggested with a sweet, sickly smile.

I nodded and headed over to Daniel. I pulled out a little notepad and pen from my pocket and smiled. "How may I help you, kind sir?" I asked in a strong, fake southern accent. The ones you hear from the cowboy movies dad always persisted to watch.

Daniel smirked. He sat up straight and began to twist the end of his imaginary moustache. "Well, ma'am, I was hoping if you could trouble yourself in fetching me a black coffee and a carrot cake," he replied.

"Sure thing. One carrot cake, and a coffee. Black like your soul," I joked.

Daniel rolled his eyes and leaned back in his seat. I headed back to the counter and started the coffee machine. I was grinding the coffee beans when Lucy approached me, her eyes on Daniel.

"He must really like you to come in and wait till your shift ends," Lucy said softly.

My cheeks burned. "He's only here because we have ballroom dancing together after work," I noted.

Lucy nodded with a cheeky smile. "Hmm, is that so? I don't understand why he has to come in thirty minutes early though."

I didn't respond. How do you respond to that?

"Why aren't you two dating already?"

My eyes widened and I began choking. I hit my chest and looked at her.

"Lucy, we're just friends."

"So?" she pressed. "My husband and I used to be friends when we first met, but then love came in the way and we got married seven months after that."

It was a cute story. She told me this a few times already and I loved hearing it each time she said.

"Most love stories blossom from friendship."

"And some friendships remain as friendship," I countered.

Lucy placed a hand on my shoulder as if telling me to listen carefully. "Seems to me that he doesn't think that," she said before turning away.