Chapter Six

• Dedicated to Joyce Surio

Nina Ricci, Gucci, Christian Louboutin, Chanel, Coco Chanel, Pucci, Doc Martens…

I already feel so beat. I don’t want to shop anymore. I don’t even remember what store we’re in.

“Give us clothes that will suit her,” Elliot instructed the staff in the store as I sat on the leather couch.

He turned to me and jutted his head to the staff, signalling for me to follow her.

I moaned. “I don’t want to try on clothes anymore.”

He returned to the staff. “Wrap everything up.”

The woman nodded with a petite smile. She began her work and started with the dresses at the other side of the room. She glances at me every time she pulls out a dress, then returns the dress if she thinks it doesn’t look good on me.

At the end of her ceremony, there was a heap of clothes at the counter and he paid everything in cash (just like the 21 other stores we went through).

“Thank you, Sir Elliot. Please come again,” the saleslady bowed her head.

I don’t know why everyone seems to know him. He’s like a freaking god or something.

He picked up 5 stuffed paper bags with the word “Prada” written on them. He has a glow on his face as though he’s the one who’s gone shopping.

“Did you have fun?” he asked, grinning from ear to ear.

I made a completely dull face. “Is it over yet?”

He nodded. “Mmm-hmm. This is the last shop.”

“Great!” I said, pulling myself up. “Can we go home now?”

He dropped his jaw. Oh no. He’s going to be arrogant again.

“I took you to shopping! You should thank me!” he said. “You're such a pain in the—“

“You're the one who wanted to take me to shopping! I'm not thanking you!”

He stopped. He looked completely fuming, but he didn’t say anything else. He walked out of the shop with my bags and I followed him out.

“Why does everyone seem to know you?” I asked him as he put the bags in the backseat along with the other 49 bags.

“Stonebridge Heights is an elite town. Three-fourths of the place is full of rich people. And one-fourth is occupied by…” he jutted his chin to me.

I gasped. “What are you saying? That I'm poor?”

He frowned in thought and shoved his hand in his pocket. “No, I'm not really saying that you’re poor, but…you know, normal people.”

My fury subsided. I felt my forehead relax. “Oh.”

“The Stradlins pretty much own every land in Stonebridge Heights. My father is a member of the school board, along with Cameron’s and Nicolas’ parents.”

“Who’s Cameron and Nicolas?”

“They're my best friends since we were in diapers. We always got each others’ backs.”

I smiled. How sweet.

“I didn’t think you'd be the type of guy who has friends.”

“They’re my only friends,” he said, a smile twitched at the side of his mouth.

“Oh.”

I suddenly felt sorry for him.

“You’ll meet them tomorrow,” he said then, gestured to the car. “Get in.”