Chapter Thirteen

It was a long and difficult night with both Josh and Mary pacing around the two victims down stairs and Brad constantly checking on everyone. Finally, the professor came out of his room and went downstairs to the lobby where the group had gathered.

He spoke softly but firmly to everyone. "I want you all to go back to your rooms and rest. There's nothing you can do for Julie and David here now tonight. They just need rest. I have asked Lara and Helga to stay up and check on them. In the morning, they will need nourishment and liquids."

Brad brashly spoke up. "Professor, I still think they . . ."

"I know what you think, young man. But it is just not feasible or prudent to move them from here. Overland so soon to Berlin. The vans are scheduled to return to take us back in three days or so. We will check the condition of these two tomorrow. At that time as the coordinator of this project I will make another assessment of their needs."

Crissa was at least satisfied to hear the professor had some plausible concern for the two's well-being and recovery. At that point Helga and her daughter Lara entered the dimly-lit lobby wearing night robes for the scheduled vigilance.

"You see, our patients are being monitored well here," the professor added. "I insist that you all get your rest after this unfortunate day we've had. You'll need to relax and keep your strength now."

Quietly the group responded to the professor's command by leaving the two unmoving and sheeted colleagues. As they all began to ascend the stairs, Brad could be heard cursing under his breath. He moved into a position so as to escort Crissa back to her room. Stopping him at her doorway she held his arm, signaling she wanted to speak while inside. Brad complied by following her in and closed the door half way behind them.

"Brad . . .you need to know. I overheard Mary and Josh speaking with the professor earlier. Their analysis of those samples we took? They showed some really scary stuff, I guess."

"Like?"

"Like . . . human characteristics. In their saliva and excrement, they said. They were pretty shocked about it, too."

"What did Dekker say?"

"Nothing really. It was kind of like . . . he expected it."

"But Mary and Josh sounded fearful. About what they discovered."

"This is all just adding up to some very crazy shit here, Crissa. We've got to consider things are going to get worse the longer we stay in the hellish place. We've got to get our friends out of here. As soon as possible. And that's with the professor . . . or without him."

"No Brad. It's just not wise to move them yet. We have to wait until they can travel again. The doctor said so."

"We'll see. Damn! We were never told there'd be no phone signal out here! And that totally sucks!"

"I know. My mother back in BC is probably shitting her pants by now. And something else, Brad . . ."

"What?"

"Did you see that girl Lara's arms?"

"No. Why?"

"She has the same bite scars on her. Both arms, I could see. I just freaks me out to think . . ."

"Yeah, I know. Don't say it. Please!"

"Brad, will you sleep here in Julie's bed tonight? I just need someone near me I can trust."