Chapter 16

They had been to a number of shops by 12 O'clock, and John , having missed breakfast, was ravenous. He looked over his shoulder expecting to see his taller friend walking closely behind him, his hands in his jean pockets and a smirk on his face, as he had been most of the day. However, he turned around to see...no one.

He felt a mild panic, he didn't really know where he was ( he hadn't been into the town around school before, but Sherlock seemed to know where he was going ) and surveyed everywhere around him desperately searching for Sherlock.

Where the hell was he ?

But then, John heard his voice , and followed it round a corner to see him in the queue for an ice cream stall, crouched down and talking to a little kid in a pirate outfit. John smirked and got a little closer, but not letting Sherlock know he was watching, and listened in to their conversation.

" I'll make ye walk the plank" the small child said, prodding Sherlock in the chest with a small sword.The mother stood next to the child smiled, with large red lipstick coated lips,  and then focused her attention back on her phone. Sherlock grabbed a twig off the floor.

" Not if I get ye first , this is a mutiny cap'n" Sherlock said in a gruff pirate accent, brandishing the twig like a sword. The small child giggled and batted the small twig out of Sherlock's hand .

"ARRRR, yer for the fishies now." the kid mimicked Sherlock's pirate voice. Sherlock fell back onto his bottom and made a splash sound with his mouth , and then proceeded to pretend he was being eaten. The mother started to look worried when Sherlock started on about the fish disembowelling him, it was then that John felt he should intervene . He coughed, and Sherlock turned, seeing him and quickly standing up.

" John, I was going to get us some ice cream and I eh-" Sherlock attempted to hide the embarrassed expression on his face, however he suspected his cheeks were slightly red.

"You got caught up with some important business?" John grinned, waving at the small child, who waved his foam sword back at John.

" Hope you didn't hurt him too badly" John said to the child, "He never shuts up, god knows how much he'd moan about being sliced by a real pirate!"

The child grinned and said " No, I didn't cut him , mummy wont let me play with real sharp things because found a dead birdy an I experimenteded on it and..."

The woman looked up from her phone alarmed and placed a hand on his shoulder, " Honey that's enough now, these boys don't want to hear about that now"  blurted the woman " ...and neither do I " she mumbled.

Sherlock smiled and his eyes lit up " What type of experiment did you conduct?"

" Sherlock..." John warned John, and the boy backed away from the child. He knew already that he probably shouldn't be asking, John's warning was a mere confirmation. The mother smiled at John ,

" Your boyfriend is great with kids, he should babysit or something. " She nodded at Sherlock, "Thanks for playing with Alfie, kept him entertained! Usually he runs off in queues, and this one is taking forever!" She glared in dismay at the long line for ice cream that barley moved and ran a hand through her blonde hair.

" My name is Stormageddon...not Alfie" The child moaned , the mother just rolled her eyes, John's eyes however looked as though they would pop out of his skull.

" Oh Sherlock's not my boy-" But John was interrupted by Sherlock thanking the woman for her compliment and dragging John off to a nearby shop by his hand .

He stopped outside and looked at John , " Do you want to be?" . He grinned , a mischievous glint in his brilliant eyes. John was taken aback , and shook his head in disbelief .

" I- what??"

Sherlock rolled his eyes " Are you deaf , stupid or both?" . He was suddenly aware he was still holding John's hand , but he didn't let go.

" Would you like to be my boyfriend John?"

John grinned , and answered Sherlock simply by kissing him hard on the mouth, grabbing both sides of his face,

"Yup. Now lets go get something to eat." He said breathily as they finally broke apart , both grinning inanely.

Over by the ice cream queue , Alfie tugged on his mothers sleeve. " Mummy why are those two boys kissing?"

The mother smiled down at her child, " Because they are two people that love each other like mummy and daddy do."

The boy processed this and furrowed his brows, " Oh, okay , what can I get strawberry and vanilla ice cream?"