⏸visits

Everytime you drove down the long driveway to Todd's home, you were reminded of everything. The times in middle school, when Todd and you would race down the driveway, and see who could climb the tree the quickest. Though, it wasn't always competition. Todd's house is where you two would spend most of your days. You doubted Todd would remember, but his dad would embarrass him throughout most of his high school career, talking about how much Todd would talk about you, and how excited he always was when you were on your way over. Most of the time, Todd would say "dad. . .", and smile nervously at you, while you blushed.

     This time would be different. Todd had no idea you were coming, because his mom, who you talked to over the phone, had wanted to surprise him. After you went off to college, Todd and you had barely seen each other. You remember getting almost nine missed calls from him, whilst you were in class. You knew that coming here would be great for him.

     Parking your car next to the house, you wanted to see the family as soon as possible. Practically running towards the door, through the snow, you knocked.

     "Oh, my God, it's miss college lady herself." Todd's mom smiled, before hugging you.

     "Been four years too long. Welcome home, kid." Mr. McCray said, as you walked into their house. A nostalgic feeling came over you as you saw everything left in the exact same way you were used to. Everything was right, except for the dog licking your hand.

     "Oh, my God! You guys got a dog?" You asked, crouching down to pet the dog, which looked like a golden retriever.

     "Todd will explain that." His dad stated, as Mrs. McCray called for Todd to come downstairs.

     "Christmas left my room, has anyone -" Todd cut himself off when his eyes landed on the dog, then on you.

     "Hey, Todd." You smiled, as you stood up. Todd's eyes went wide, as well as his smile, as he ran down the rest of the stairs.

     "You're here!" He exclaimed, wrapping his arms around you, momentarily lifting you off of the ground.

     "Yes, I am, and we have a lot to catch up on." You smiled at him when you pulled apart. He nodded, quickly, before grabbing onto your hand to run to the kitchen, where the dog followed. "Who's your friend?" You smiled at the dog, before Todd turned around, holding onto both of your hands, now.

     "Were keeping him until New Years, and then we have to take him back." Todd told you, making you know that taking the dog back was an idea instilled in him by Mr. McCray.

     "Oh, that's too bad. He's so cute." You smiled at the dog as you sat down. Todd watched with a grin as you pet the dogs head, whilst he crouched down next to the dog.

     "Are you leaving again?" Todd asked, looking slightly upset after the thoughts of you leaving.

     "No, Todd. College is all over, now." You assured him, allowing him to smile again. "I'm stayin' here, okay?"

     "You're staying the night?" Todd raised his eyebrows in excitement. You almost corrected him, but you knew how much happier he'd be with you there.

     "'Course I am." You smiled, leaning down, and pulling his head close to kiss his cheek. He smiled wider, as his cheeks went slightly red, like they always did when you kissed him.

     Mr. and Mrs. McCray used to say that Todd's crush on you was childlike, and even joked to Todd about marriage; 'When are you gonna marry her?', especially after Todd's extreme disapproval of the only boyfriend you had in high school. Todd used to hate him so much that, while Todd and you spoke in the hallways, he would just cut himself off whenever he noticed the boy approaching us. It wouldn't be until afterwards when you'd ask Todd why he hated him so much.

     "Because you're my girl." He answered, making you grin slightly. You would have been more enthusiastic about Todd, but you were still healing from the boy.

     "I'm just gonna do it." Todd's words brought you back to reality, as he stared at you. With a split second of confusion, Todd leaned back forward, kissing me on the lips, a territory we never went into before, mostly because, in elementary school, he had cooties, in middle school, he was too nervous, and he simply wouldn't, in high school, because he didn't want anything unless he knew you wanted it, too. Pulling away, he looked at me with a small smile. "I just - I just missed you, a lot."

     "I missed you, too, Todd."