0.37 | when and how and where |

"And would you look at that." Carlotta pointed to the wall clock with a bright smile. "It is time."

"What?" Sabah asked, confused.

"It is nine-thirty. Look outside, it's dark. I should close up and you should go home."

"What?" Sabah repeated.

Carlotta spoke slowly, "I should close up and you should go home."

"You can't possibly mean that," she groaned. "Not now. It's happening isn't it? What happens next? She comes back, right? Carlotta, Auburn comes back, right?"

But the older woman was already closing off the lights and when she replied it was in an offhand, disinterested manner, "Of course, of course."

"So, then?"

Carlotta disappeared in the kitchen and Sabah stared after her. She picked up her slingbag and ran up. "Wait up!"

Carlotta was rummaging in some drawers but she looked up with a sigh when Sabah came in. "The story is nearly over. There's a not left to tell."

"Then tell it to me."

She looked at the younger woman whose face was flushed, whose fingers were clutching her beat-up tape recorder, whose lower lip was quivering, whose eyes betrayed shock and betrayal. "We can discuss it tomorrow."

"No, we can't," Sabah said. "You know we can't. You know I'm going back tomorrow."

"Well, it is a pity, then."

"We discussed this. I bought the ticket in front of you. My course got over two days ago and I have stayed back because you promised me. You-you promised. You can't just leave it off here. You can't. Please. You know how much it means to me."

"I have had a very long, tiring day, not to mention that I used up every little break to tell you a story that I had no intention of telling you. Don't get me wrong, I like you and I have enjoyed this but tonight, I am tired." She did look tired. Her face was lined with fatigue and the hooded eyes were unnaturally bright.

Sabah shrank back before all of this. "I am sorry. That was really thoughtless of me." She gave a small laugh as if to smooth things over. "Tell you what, my flight is at noon and I suppose I can make it to the airport if I leave here around ten-thirty. So, you catch some sleep, get some rest and I'll drop by with breakfast."

"Sounds good." She smiled. "See you tomorrow."

"I'll be here. I'll be here at the crack of dawn so better go sleep right away."

"Yes, yes, I know how enthusiastic you can be. Go now." She laughed, waving a dishcloth.

Outside the air seemed cool on Sabah's warm cheeks and she was surprised to find herself trembling, as if she had just realized that she survived something, something dangerous. She shook her head, wondering at her thoughts and pulling her jacket close, walked quickly.