G L O W

Edit: As promised, a double update. Thank you so much for reading this far! BGID (Bad Girl In Disguise) is at #771 in Teen Fiction! Holy shit! Again, thank you😁

"Jesse, I swear if you murder me in these woods..."

"Just shut up."

If it wasn't Lucas's birthday, I would've strangled him by now. Apparently, even the birthday boy himself does not know the importance of this date and has not bothered to check the calendar. Hence, his confusion.

I'm dragging him through the woods with a flashlight in my hand. And it's around 10.30 p.m. but my eyes are wide awake. As they always are.

Ever since I started sneaking out, back when I had to use this old bicycle with pedals, I have been sort of an insomniac. I barely sleep and somehow my body adapted to it. I function like any other person but with a lot less recharge time.

Imagine if I bothered to shut my eyes for a night. I'd probably be Superman.

Apparently, Lucas is also part-insomniac. He hasn't yawned or slowed down in his pace at all. His warm hand is holding my cold one, warming up my entire body. I immediately regretted using a dress. Especially a backless one. I've been trying to hide my shivers all night.

Lucas looked at me before shrugging off his leather jacket. I tried to refuse but he draped it across my shoulders anyway. My body instantly snuggles deeper into it. It envelops me in his scent.

"Thanks," I say, reluctantly. I know guys have a reputation for their large egos. But it doesn't mean girls don't have it too. We just hide it better.

Lucas smirks knowingly before wrapping his arm around my shoulders. He pulls me closer and kisses the top of my head, sending shivers down my spine.

"Who would've thought that the bad girl would wear a dress this nice?" Lucas teases. I scoff and roll my eyes. I never wear dresses, though I have an abundance of them courtesy of my beloved mother. Note the sarcasm.

"You should be feeling special, y'know," I retorted. He laughed and pecked my cheek. A small smile spread across my lips.

I finally saw the first lantern. Yes, lantern. The soft yellow glow is a bright contrast to the dark woods around us. The glow reminded me of stars on a completely dark night. I turn off my flashlight and walk towards it.

Lucas followed, looking at me and the lantern curiously. I smirk mischieviously.

I lift a branch and reveal a trail of similar lanterns. They form a path leading towards a tree. The stars are twinkling above us, surrounding a full moon.

Everything is as it should be.

"Wow," Lucas gasped. I stifled a laugh and kept on walking.

I led us to the tree. Lucas looks around before I led him around the gigantic trunk. I ran my hand across the bark before Lucas jerked it away.

"Hey!"

"You could get splinters," he shrugged. I grit my teeth. I kind of like that he is protective but I don't like if he's overprotective. He's the birthday boy. You can't murder him, Jesse.

We reached the other side. I heard his sharp intakr of breath as he took in the view. Looking at his face, I felt like everything was worth it.

Before us is a picnic I laid out on the grass. A single gigantic lantern sat on the middle of the fabric. And inside the basket is a bottle of wine I stole from my father along with 2 wineglasses.

A bit too much? Not at all. Not for my Lucas.

He smiled widely before gathering me in his arms. He spun me around in the air as I laughed.