Leston- Terminal Ballet Parts 1 & 2

Song is Breathe Me by Sia

Preston's P.O.V.

Lachlan was missing. I hadn't seen him for a few hours and I was starting to get very worried. He had said he was going to go for a walk but he hadn't taken his phone with him, which he normally took with him so he could listen to music, and I had no way to contact him.

I had called Rob, he normally knew what to do and he had told me to stay calm and wait before I started to go and look for him. An hour after that call Lachlan still wasn't home so I called Rob again and this time I heard panic in his voice.

"Go and look for him Preston. This isn't like him, I'll come over as soon as possible." Rob was only an hours drive away, so I knew he would be there soon.

Lachlan was terminally ill. He had two large brain tumors and the doctors had no way to remove them without causing him permanent brain damage, something which he completely and utterly refused to do. The doctors said he had less than two months to go, and some of the side effects of the brain tumors had started to come through.

He had been warned about them and it meant he needed almost around the clock care, otherwise he could do something he didn't mean too. He would have memory lapses, trouble concentrating and remembering details, taking longer to finish things he would normally do amazingly and forgetting words, unable to find the right words to finish a sentence.

He had been living with me before his diagnosis, being my boyfriend of 4 years and as soon as we knew it was terminal Rob moved down into a house a little less than an hour away. I was extremely grateful to Rob for dropping everything to come and help but in the end it was Lachlan's decision and he had decided not to have the surgery.

The minute I hung up the phone I pulled my shoes and a sweatshirt on and grabbed my phone before walking out the door and down the streets. I only had to walk for a few minutes before I knew exactly where he had gone, and made a beeline for the dance theatre that was just across the street from the apartment.

I pushed on the doors to find them locked so I went around and through the back doors, that I had been through many times, which were unlocked and down the stairs into the auditorium.

There were some small spotlights on the stage and piano music playing through the speakers, a song I recognised very well and one Lachlan had played a lot when he was feeling down.

{Cue music}

Lachlan was standing in the centre of the stage, his head down and hands held slightly out from his body as the lyrics started to flood the room, coming from every angle.

Help, I have done it again

I have been here many times before

Hurt myself again today

And the worst part is there's no one else to blame

His body started to move and he was dancing across the stage, moving slowly with careful and precise movements. With his hair in his face I couldn't see his facial expressions but I could feel his emotions radiating through the room.

His movements were almost painful and as I stood watching he stood right up on the tips of his toes, raising himself to the fullest height he could. I was in shock, I knew he used to dance but I'd never seen him dance, at least not to his full extent.

Be my friend

Hold me, wrap me up

Unfold me

I am small and needy

Warm me up

And breathe me