34. Distress Call

(Rachel's POV)

'Rachel, here's your favourite coffee'.

I looked up from the wide screen to meet Edward's caring smile. With a nod, I accepted his sweet gesture and sipped the hot liquid that soothed my whole system.

'Why don't you get some time off and do something that interests you?'

My eyes were back on the wide screen which was divided into four plots each occupied by familiar faces yet not that happy. Yeah, they were trying to maintain a fake happy mood.

'Alicia, Mom, I don't need that face!'

The moment I got here, Edward brought me to the conference room to meet my family. Uncle Paul had set this all. Although I was frustrated to show my status to my loving family, my heart beating and the shock slowly eased away with their caring voices. Edward sat next to me backing me up, in a room surrounded by glass windows. The room is open to the green field across the land and at one corner a wide screen set behind a white table facing me.

Dr Alicia, my long term shrink was off to rest at Malibu beach, but emergency cases like myself never gave her time to breathe. Behind her were coconut trees and a wooden balcony. She was no longer in her grey suits I normally see but in a casual white blouse.

Next to her screen is the principle of Knights College, dressed so smartly yet no looks of a stiff principle at all. She was concerned about me about everything. Is it a mother's job to worry this much? And then there's dad all the way from Beijing. Once again, I had interrupted a crucial meeting for him and yet here he was concerned at his not so worthy daughter trying to figure out her life out of a childhood incident.

'And I'm already doing what I'm interested in. I don't need a holiday.' With another sip from the coffee, I said.

'Mira, I have to leave. She can't be pursued in something she doesn't want.' He turned to me with a disappointed look.

'You are too stubborn, child. I don't expect you to do what we want but we are saying things out of love. And if you think your word is superior, then let it be.'

That's his pissed business talking. Neither Dr Alicia nor mom interfered. That I felt in my bones. From the half empty cup, I looked at him. At the same moment, somebody came behind him and whispered in his ear.

Silence dominated the room.

And he spoke. 'Edward!'

Ed sat straight. 'Halt Miss Kinghts' project. Send it back to my secretary. Let Rachel have some space.'

Edward opened his mouth to answer but I intervened. 'No dad! Let me finish what I've started. Please.'

Dad was thinking. No! I want this to work.

It'll keep me on track.' My desperate voice reached his office in Bejing.

After a long pause with hums and grumps he voiced, ' Butterfly...' his fatherly tone was back. 'If you really want this, of course, you can have it. But...'

And there's a but.

'... if you feel uncomfortable or more stressed, leave it at that precise moment because nothing's more important than my kid's health.'

His sweet, caring smile made my day. I wish I could hug him right at that moment, but the distance didn't break our bond.

'I will dad. Trust me.', I saw mom smiling with a relief. Everything had sorted out. I saw mom smiling. I was back. My personality restored thanks to my family.

'That's my girl!' dad chuckled and with a wave his screen lit off.

'Rachel, darling! Call me anytime you need, okey? And I'll visit you soon.'

I smiled at my mom and bid her goodbye.

'That went well.' Edward spoke with a relief sign.

'Let's get you back, now. Your friends must be worried sick.' he got up collecting his iPad and the phone from the table.

I didn't move. The thought of facing my friends? I couldn't do it. Not yet.

'Well... c'mon... hush... hush...'but his mood changed when he clearly saw mine.

'What's up Rach?'

There was an awkward pause. He was expecting an answer and I was waiting for my own judgment.

'Bring those files, Ed. And another black.' switching off my phone I got up from the chair.

Holding the door for me, Ed stood there with his mouth wide open. Tapping on his shoulder I walked passed him and entered into a brightly lit corridor with a view of another wooden door at the end of its path. Pushing it open I arrived into a room occupied with a large office table at one end with stationaries laid neatly on it. Behind the desk was a crimson red leather chair.

On the desk was a name board. My pace slowed down and halted in front of it. Fingers ran on the golden inscription to feel the depth of his job.

I might not be this title today or tomorrow, but I was bound with its responsibilities.

I was ok as long as I'm hidden.

With that in my mind, I took my place behind the desk. Behind me fitted the background with a starry night and brightly lit club house and cottages where the guests were experiencing the comfort my dad created. And here I was looking past that where a single building surrounded by water, waiting for my arrival. Although it was my home, not for tonight. People there may have a lovely evening and my interference may crash it. No. I won't do it to my new found family. My friends take care of me all the time and they worry about me. I cannot be a burden for them. Then there was he. Throughout the ride he was bothered about me. I couldn't express myself at that moment, but I think he saw it through my eyes. I tried my best and I'll be lost without him if he wouldn't been there to catch me. Niall, I desperately need you by my side but... if you found out who I am and what I went through to cause all these, I'm sure you'll be more wounded than me. I don't want that to happen. You are too precious to get broken one more time. With me he will get constant heart breaks, wounds, and unmarked scratches. That won't do. I won't let you.

'Rachel, here's what you asked for.' Edwards interrupted.

With a single glance at what he brought I sat down and began working, hiding my thoughts behind my sub conscious. Just for another day. 

(Hi... I so sorry to keep you long... But here it is. Although it is short I hope you will enjoy it. Thank you for all your comments and DMs... love you all.)