Kidnapped by vampires...and THEY'RE scared of ME?

PROLOGUE

I'm running. I don't know how long I've been

running or why. I just know I have to keep running. I don't

know how I know; maybe it's the icy pain in my arm or the

horrible sounds coming from behind me. I just know. A biting

pain in my side aches every time I breath and my legs feel like

their about to collapse. I take in a shallow breath. From behind

me I hear a thunderous sound. My whole body shakes, the ground

beneath my feet vibrates. I look back over my shoulder to

see what it is and trip on something. I fall and hit my head

on something hard. I roll over and look up. I see

a big full moon through the trees before I black out.

Chapter one:

I woke up with a start. I sat up too quickly and my head started throbbing. I closed my eyes and laid back down. When my head stopped hurting so much I sat up slowly and opened my eyes. I looked around. This wasn't my room. I jumped out of bed and my head started throbbing again. I took a step forward and wobbled unsteadily. I took another step and fell, but before I hit the floor a big pair of arms caught me and pulled me up. They spun me around so that I was face to face with their owner. It was a tall guy probably a few years older than me. "Hi." he said dropping his arms. He had a deep smooth voice. I didn't say anything. "My name is Caleb." he continued slowly, carefully, "This is my dad." he gestured behind me. I was staring at Caleb with my mouth hanging open. He was so beautiful. He had longish dark brown hair that came almost to his eyes which were big and gold-green. Nice bone structure- high cheekbones, strong square jaw, straight nose. He had a deep tan and broad shoulders. He was very nicely muscled." I'm sure your wondering why we've brought you here." the man behind me boomed, breaking me out of my trance. He had an even deeper voice, I wouldn't have imagined it possible for any sound made by a human to be that deep. "And we are going to explain everything I just a moment, but don't be afraid, we mean no harm. We are just trying to help you." Why did I need help? I looked in the direction that his voice was coming from and gasped when I saw him. He was tall with broad shoulders and straight dark hair that hung down past his chin. He was paler than Calb and he had red eyes. I blacked out again.

I woke up but didn't open my eyes as I tried to remember. I remembered running, blackness waking up, meeting Caleb, seeing the older guy with red eyes, and blackness again. I shuddered. What did these people want from me? Why was I here? Were they trying to hurt me? I opened my eyes halfway. Caleb Was sitting in a chair beside my bed with his head in his hands. I was about to ask him what he wanted and demand he bring me home when I noticed that he was rubbing his temples with two fingers; he looked like he was in pain. "Hey." I said softly, forgetting for a moment the circumstances under which I was here. His head snapped up and he looked at me, startled. "Are you okay?" I asked. He shook his head and dropped his head back into his hands. "No, yeah I'm fine. You just....." he trailed off and waved a hand toward me. "Oh," I said, "well sorry." "S'okay" he mumbled. We were both quiet for a moment. I tried to think of something to say. "What do you want from me?" not very comforting. "So, how's the kidnapping business?" no. "I think you're the hottest guy I've ever seen?" definitely no. "I think your dads really scary.?" no, no, and- "Sorry about my dad I'm sure he freaked you out." Caleb said interrupting my thoughts and reading my mind. "Oh, yeah, that's ok." I stammered. He was staring at me with the most adorable grin on his face. I stared back. He opened his mouth but before he could say whatever he was going to say someone knocked on the door. He looked away and stood up. "Come in." he said; his voice was sweet and seductive. Who wouldn't come in?! I tore my eyes away from him and looked toward the door. It opened slowly and a girl about my age walked in. I looked her up and down. She was medium height and weight, wearing khakis and a blue monogrammed polo so I assumed she worked here. She had straight pale hair that came to her chin. I wondered if she was in on this thing- Caleb and his dad kidnapping me- and if not, could she help me escape? "Yes?" Caleb said sounding impatient. I looked up at him. His teeth were clenched and his face was tight and measured- but I could see that he was mad underneath. Yeah well, so was I. "Umm......well..." the girl sputtered nervously, "Your, uh, brother would like to.....speak with you." she blushed. Calev glanced at me then back at the girl. "Oh." he said, "Jadelynn, would you mind keeping Sadie company for a moment?" How did he know my name? "Ummm....." Jadelynn said quietly, glancing at me. "Thank you." Calev said, showing her that it hadn't really been a question. She said "Uh...huh." Calev turned back to me and bent down so that his face was less than a foot from mine. Our eyes locked. He stood like that for a moment with his mouth open slightly. Looking- like I'm sure I'd been looking constantly since I met him- surprised, stunned even, like he'd let his guard down. "Well," he cleared his throat and broke the spell we had both been under. "I'll be right back." He said this like a promise or something; not just a statement. "Okay." I said quietly. "Okay." he said nodding his head as he righted himself. Then he turned and left, shutting the door quietly behind him. As soon as he left the room I was hit with a dizzying wave of emotion. I missed him. Caleb I missed Calev. Even as I thought this I knew it was stupid- why should I miss him, or feel anything but contempt toward him- after all he had kidnapped me. But I couldn't help but feel the way I did. Someone by the door coughed yanking me out of my reverie. I sat up quickly and spun my head around to see who it was, and was thoroughly disappointed and yet relieved when I saw that it was just Jadelynn. I sighed and laid back down. But then- remembering my manners even in a time like this, thanks to many years of practice and teaching from my mom- sat back up to make conversation with her. Only then did I see that Jadelynn was pressed against the wall farthest away from me with something that looked like fear in her eyes. I wondered what she could be so afraid of. And then it hit me- Jadelynn was staring directly at me. With that look of crazed horror on her face. Jadelynn was horrified. Of me. I stared at her and she stared back. I wanted to say something, but I couldn't think of a single word. And it wasn't because no one had ever looked scared of me before- my dog when I yelled at him, my friends when I was in a bad mood- but no one had ever looked so utterly horrified. She looked at me like I was holding a gun to her head. And that scared me. Questions shot through my head; Why would she be so scared of me- especially since they were the ones who had kidnapped me? What could I do to her? What was wrong with me? Did I really want to know? Calev came back into the room, but this time I couldn't take my eyes off Jadelynn. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Calev look at me, then at Jadelynn, then back at me. I finally looked at him and a rainbow of emotions played across his face; confusion, realization, schock and finally anger. "What did you do?" he said, turning do Jadelynn, his voice was cold and frightening. Jadelynn looked at him and looked even more scared. Then she ran out of the room. As she was leaving it hit me how entirely screwed up this whole thing was. What had I done to deserve this? I was a good person, wasn't I? Then why did this happen to me? Why did these people have to choose me? Why did they take me? Why do bad things always happen to good people? Why me?