•Nineteen•

The colors in the mist faded away and I remembered what was happening. I was a spirit in the underworld, waiting for a chance to receive life and get out of this miserable place. Another spirit was next to me, my significant other. According to the image I had seen in the mist, he would be given the name Perseus, in life. Mine would be Annabeth. We looked nothing like the mortal us, Just a shimmer of silver smoke and yellow slits for eyes.

A small and delicate being stood before us, moving her hand through the mist. She had a skinny frame and blonde hair that hung free down to her waist. She was beautiful in a I know I'm pretty but I don't have time for this way. I remembered fully what she had told us before we had seen the horrors of what being a demigod would bring, and the unknown ease that would surely come with the mortal life.

I was a spirit of the underworld. I did not yet have a soul, but I was still a being of some sort. I was created where the five rivers in the underworld (Phlegathon, Cotycus, Styx, Lethe, and Acheron) meet together in the very center of the underworld. Where the rivers meet, a smokey substance is produced and floats above the rivers like a spark above a fire. When Thanatos, god of death, sees these clumps of energy, he catches them in a golden net. Thanatos then utters a prayer to Zoi, the goddess of life, and takes the blur of energy into his hands. He splits the energy orb directly in half with his hands, a power only the god of death possesses. Two forms begin to take shape from the split ball of energy. Two spirits are created from this process. They are the other half of one another. Without your significant other, your journey is incomplete and you cannot enter the isle of the blest.

Zoi had told us that we were created this way, and in order to pass the test of life, we had to find our significant other in life and acknowledge them as our eternal companion. Only then could we have the opportunity to enter the isle of the blest. (The highest achievement in life and ultimate eternal party house in the underworld) One of course could settle for the fields of punishment, the fields of asphodel or even Elysium without the need of finding your Significant Other. But the ultimate goal, was finding your other half.

The goddess of life stood before us and continued to run her hand through the mist as if she were painting a picture. I had witnessed what sorrow, grief and pain would come with being a demigod. I had seen my life, all I would do up until I was around sixteen years of age. The rules of the ages states that a spirit may not see past a great trial before choosing their way. Zoi had also shown us what being a mortal would be like. It definitely seemed easier and less trying. But, there was no guarantee that Perseus and I would ever end up together forever. Sure I'd seen us end up together in high school, but that was no promise of a committed relationship.

"Mm" Mused Zoi. "I don't have all eternity. You must choose now."

Perseus moved closer to my form and I knew what he wanted. I knew it would be hard, unimaginably horrible even, but I knew it was the only way to stay with him. So throw trials at us life. Throw the worst at me. As long as I have my perfect other half, I'm set. No matter how long it may take, I'll find him, And we will be eternal companions.

I lifted my smokey head and it seemed Zoi knew exactly what I wanted. The mortal image dissipated and the demigod image began to glow softly. With a raise of her hand, the goddess of life caused my form to rise and something collided into it. The feeling was like liquid passion, screaming punk rock and whale calls into my nonexistent ears. I landed back onto the underworld ground, and I had a form. My soul was here, I was actually a person.

I turned to see my companion smiling at me, he too had received a soul. The both of us moved closer to each other as Zoi glowed brightly. She yelled in Ancient Greek and a ball of light engulfed Perseus and I. Everything was moving and chaotic, and when I thought my soul would burst from energy, I suddenly locked eyes with Perseus, those startling sea green eyes, and everything went dark.

***

I am nothing. I don't know what will happen now, but hopefully I'll find Perseus again. Everything is silent and dark. I cannot move nor see, and I fear the worst. I'm so confused but I have a strange conviction in the back of my mind that tells me I'll see him again. Soon in fact. Maybe this was waiting for my life? My demigod ticket? It was all unknown to me.

Well, what ever comes next, I'm just glad I chose the hard way. I'll go through hell if I have to, but I know it will be okay eventually. Zoi had shown us the mortal world in hopes of giving us an easier choice, but I knew we'd chosen right. After the demigod preview, she'd shown us Another Option, but we'd chosen what was best for us. Thank you Zoi for the thought, but I'm set for what comes next.

Perseus don't worry, I'm coming. So watch out ;)