mom? I...

"Hey mom" said Nancy, "where's El? I need to talk to her about Mike's birthday."

"Oh, she's upstairs studying with Max. In fact, yes, we should all get together and talk about it while Mike's at Will's house" stated Karen, "I'll just go up and call them down, we can decide presents, and what they think he wants to do, 17 is definitely too old for a party, right?"

"Yes, definitely" replied Nancy, rolling her eyes at the mere mention of it. She sat there and waited for everyone to come back down, wondering what nerdy shit Mike would want this year. Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted by her mom yelling loudly, followed by her coming down the stairs looking incredibly pale with a look of shock on her face.

"Mom? What happened? are you ok?" asked Nancy worriedly, unable to think of anything that would cause this reaction.

Karen said nothing, instead making her way to the drinks cabinet and pouring herself a large whisky, chugging down in one go.

"Mom, what is it!?" Nancy asked again. Karen poured another drink and sat at the kitchen counter. "Mom?"

"I...I tried to open El's door but it was locked..."

"So, you let yourself in?" Nancy guessed, rolling her eyes again, remembering her mother's unique parenting skill.

"Yes, I opened the door and...and..."

"And what?" pressed Nancy, intrigued at what could possibly cause her mom to down a double whisky, straight up.

"El and Max, they were...they were in bed...together" she said, looking up at Nancy with a serious expression, trying to make an adequate hand gesture to help support what she was saying.

Nancy wasn't sure she understood exactly what her mom was saying, or she was and wanted conformation, "what do you mean, in bed together?" she asked slowly.

"You want details?" Karen asked provocatively, almost hysterically, "Max was lying down, El was on top of her and they were clearly making out."

Nancy's jaw dropped, "...m...maybe..."

"And they had no tops on" added Karen, shooting down whatever Nancy was going to say.

They sat there in stunned silence, eventually Nancy said "so what did you say...when you saw them?"

Karen drank the rest of her second drink, "I told them to get their clothes on and get down here in 20 minutes."

"20 minutes?" asked Nancy, "why such a long time?"

"Because I haven't got a fucking clue what I'm going to say to them!" said Karen desperately.

Nancy was shocked, her mom hardly ever swore, or drank, and hearing what she saw had her head spinning. "Any ideas?" she heard her mom say, she shook her head no in return.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~*

1 hour earlier

"Hi Mrs Wheeler."

"Oh, hi Max" replied Karen, surveying the redhead at the door, "El's just cleaning up the kitchen, go through if you want."

"Thanks" Max said happily, making her way to the kitchen. She realized that El didn't know she was there so just stood and admired her for a minute. "Hey" she eventually said.

She watched El jump slightly, "dammit Max, you startled me" she said, coming over and whipping her gently with the tea towel.

"You almost done?" asked Max hopefully.

El sighed, "I've got to finish the kitchen then vacuum downstairs" she said rolling her eyes.

Max looked disappointed then walked away purposefully. A few minutes later she and Karen walked into the kitchen, "El, why didn't you say you had homework to finish? You know that takes priority during the week over chores."