I Promise

I PROMISE

Even though there are more important things to worry about, Eleanor still goes to Archie's audition to the Variety Show. She sits next to Veronica, who actually convinced her to come with her. And Ellie being Ellie couldn't say no. Because, deep down, the truth is she's craving some mundane and normal things.

"Try harder!" Reggie shouts from the back.

"Do you think you're funny?" Ellie stands up, and turns around so she can face him. "Go back to kindergarden, Reggie."

"Uhh, E. That's your worst?"

"Shut up!" Kevin exclaims, and turns back to the red-haired boy. "Take your time, Archie."

Ellie gives her friend a reassuring look and a very confident smile. She believes in him, and is hoping he can believe in himself as well.

"What is happening?" Veronica wonders.

Josie leans forward, so they can hear her. "He's choking." 

"No, he can't be..." Ellie shakes her head.

"Archie? Clock's ticking." Kev warns.

Ellie looks back to Josie, and her dark-haired friend. "We have to help him." 

"No, sorry Ellie," The Pussy Cat's leader smiles. "there is nothing you can do for him now."

"Excuse me. Sorry, I gotta go." And Archie abandones the stage just like that.

The crowd burst into laughs and claps, like some morons. Ellie is mad at Reggie and his friends, yes the guy is the sweetest when he feels like it but then, sometimes, he's the biggest asshole in Riverdale. Which is a big compliment, seeing how all his friends are pretty close to that title.

Ellie stands up, and excuses herself. "I'm gonna go look for him." 

After a while of looking in the hallways, Ellie finally finds him. But she's too late, he's already with Valerie. Ellie sighs, and turns around, walking to the one place she knows she's wanted, the Blue and Gold

But before Ellie reaches for the handle on the door, Veronica approaches her. "Did you talk to him?"

"Ah, no." Ellie shakes her head, and tells her. "He was with Valerie." 

"Oh." Veronica breathes, and decides to ask her friend the real question. "Are you jealous?"

"Why would I be?" Ellie frowns, like it's the stupidest thing.

"Because you like Archie." Veronica states the obvious.

"I don't." She replies with a shrug. "We had one summer. That was the beginning and the end of it. Whatever it was."

The dark-haired girl chuckles. "You're definitely jealous." 

"You know what you could do instead of bubling about my non existent love life?" Ellie smiles widely at her new idea. "You know how to sing, you talked about it once, right? Well, I heard Archie tell Valerie how he needed a partner to get over the stage fear? So..."

"You want me to go offer myself." Veronica guesses. "Is that so you can keep him away from her?"

"I'm trying to help Archie." Ellie rolls her eyes.

"Is that just it? Or –."

Ellie finally opens the door to the Blue and Gold, and looks back at her friend one last time. "We're done here, V."