(Winter is Coming)

We eat quietly, whispering a commentary of the night between us

We eat quietly, whispering a commentary of the night between us. Jojen is a clever boy who easily makes me smile. Many times I feel my father's eyes on me, I feel Jon's eyes on me, I return neither glance. I'm starting a new life, where the boy beside me was to become the most important person in my life. After dinner father makes a speech about the joining of our two ancient houses, about how soon I'll be moving to Greywater Watch with the Reeds, soon to be a Reed myself. As he finishes Jojen leans into me, "lets go for a walk before bed." So we slip out.

We stay within the castle, me telling him stories of growing up within these walls with my family. We stop at the end of one hall & sit on the windowsill.

"I always have been a bit jealous of all your siblings, it's always been just me and Meera. When I was younger, I dreamed about filling the halls of Greywater Watch with plenty of little Lords & Ladies."

"But not anymore?" Jojen looks deeply at me, searching my eyes and face.

"There are other things ahead for us, Faylin, before children, & homemaking & a quiet life on the bog." We look out at the window in silence.

"What a long summer it's been." I say.

---------------------Jon's POV, Next Morning--------------------------

I contemplate going in long enough for Septa Mordane to notice my presence outside Fay's door. I roll my eyes at her glare & walk in. She's packing & that sends a pang through my heart. I think of many things to say, all the clever ways I could break the silence, but there's nothing clever about the way I feel right now.

"There are stories. About the crannogmen, about the swamps, about Greywater Watch. That the bogmen crossbred with the Children of the Forest. Did you ever hear that story? Or about the quicksand, the sinkholes, about how the houses move? Even Greywater? They call it a moving castle, there's no finding it unless you're from there-" she cuts me off, almost curtly.

"Which soon I will be. Besides Jon, if you needed me I've no doubt you'd find me anywhere within the seven kingdoms & beyond."

"Do not forget that ever in your life." She smiles at me, a distant smile though, a new one. Already I see she is becoming Faylin Reed. I cannot blame her, how could I when I know her better than anyone? This is her defense mechanism kicking in, 'focus on the future,' that's what she would be saying right now, if she were really her. 'Put what is past behind you', that's what she'd say to me. I sigh & sit beside her on the bed, kicking my feet up, cutting the horseshit between us with my legs.

"So you're going & we've never talked about it." There's nothing left now but a day's time before our lives split, probably for good. I have to say it out loud, I have to make it real, & not just for me.

"There's no need, I'm promised to someone Jon. I'm moving there, I leave tomorrow. There's nothing to say except maybe thank the gods."

"Ai that's how you feel then?"

"It doesn't matter how I feel Jon, you know who we are & you know why we've never talked about it. It's not right & I've felt cursed by the gods everyday since I felt it first. It's wrong, it's wrong & this is right. I was made for Jojen, my future is with him."

"How can you know that, how are you so comfortable with this? I've never known you to be this type of woman!" I find I'm standing now, angry, fuming even. But she laughs, it cuts me deeper than anything else could have.

"Because he's a greendreamer." So now I'm lost of words. Because she's right, because he's a greendreamer, because he's seen it. Seen her, in his future. I got the feeling this was a common occurrence in the world of Jojen Reed.