Chapter 14

Thank God that was over.

One more minute with him, and I might have just blurted out something that I was bound to end up regretting.

“Took you long enough to come back.” I heard someone say and I literally jumped out of my skin in shock as I turned around to see a certain someone sitting in an armchair, legs draped over the arm of the red velvet, a smirk on her face and a raised eyebrow. I should’ve known.

 “Damn you, Victoria. You scared the crap out of me, for Pete’s sake!”

She’s had a key to my house since-Actually; I’d long since forgotten when I passed her my keys. It was probably sometime in the last millennium.

“Calm down girl. What did the lovely, gorgeous Mr. Harrison have to say to you that were ever so important?” She said in a throaty voice that resembled a 1920’s movie stars, and I rolled my eyes as she winked flirtatiously at me, trying to milk out any juicy details of gossip.

“Stuff that I wasn’t really paying attention to.”

“Why? Was he really all that distracting, darling? “She smiled slyly.

Yes.

Not that I’m going to admit to thinking that, of course.

“He asked me if we could be friends.” I continued nonchantly, heading to the kitchen to get a can of coke—God knew how much I needed the sugar— rambling and, of course, blatantly ignoring her question.

“What did you say?” Her voice was steady but her face was giving away a lot more than she planned.

“Of course I said yes, darling.” I replied before taking a huge gulp of the fizzy drink, ready for the exasperated remark that was sure to come from my darling best friend.

"Ang, why on earth did you agree to be friends with him?" And there it is.

"Well, it’s not like we were dating or anything in the first place. “I shrugged, suddenly finding the bubbles of my glass of Coke very interesting as Victoria started to stare at me.

Excuse the cliché term, if looks could kill, I’d definitely be dead and buried.

Or maybe cremated, the way Victoria was seething mad.

"Love, do you have any idea what you have just done?"

I rolled my eyes, not even bothering to say anything as Victoria rambled on without waiting for a reply. Typical Victoria behaviour, really.

"You practically told him that you're not interested in him. He’s a guy Ang, a healthy, hot, red-blooded male; not a saint. He’s bound to date another girl in a 5 mile radius that’s actually showing interest to him within a few days. You lost your chance, Ang, and you're going to regret it when you’re seeing him with some other girl, holding hands in corridors and making out against lockers."

"Uhm, Vic, isn’t that's the entire point? I just want him off my back and chasing some other girl. At least this way I won’t have to ignore him, and we’ll have another friend. It’s practically killing two birds with one stone!"

Not really, but I wasn’t going to let Vic know that, was I?

"You're going to regret it, Ang. You like him, and we both know it’s really going to hurt to see him with another girl when you actually had a really good chance with him."

That’s when the doubt started to set in, and I bit my lip, twirling a strand of stray hand around my finger, and I could feel the start of a frown on my face.