Chapter 23

~Two Weeks Later~

(Kristina's POV)

The last two weeks have been eventful. Every morning Dad changed my bandages for a week. It was always extremely uncomfortable and awkward for me, but it's over now because the burns are completely gone! My pain is gone; the cuts have vanished, and all the bruises are gone! You can't tell anything happened! My eye is only a little black by my nose, but black eyes always linger.

After my bandages were off for good, nobody used the shower in the bathroom anymore. We always shower at the arena after the meeting with the fans, except for the nights we don't have shows. I started going to meet and greets again, and I go to almost all the meetings with the fans after the shows. If I don't go, it's because I'm tired, so I shower early.

I call Mom once a week. It's really nice getting to talk to her. I get to see her soon at the Chicago show. We are both really anxious for that.

Also, I am not pregnant. I'm very grateful for that. However, it was very awkward telling my uncles and Dad that because they knew how I knew. There is only one way I could have known, and I've always been very touchy on that subject, even with other girls.

Speaking of uncles, I started calling Brendon, Dallon, and Spencer uncle, too. We are all just one big happy family: me, Dad, and my six uncles. I still wish we had at least one girl on tour. Even the makeup, sound, and lights people are all guys! The only girls I see are fans. I guess I'm "one of the guys" now.

Anyways, right now we are on our way to the Memphis show, which I'm really excited about. I used to live really close to there until my not-real-family moved to Chicago.

I'm watching Gillian's Island on the TV. I love the old shows. They are always really funny. Uncle Andy is driving, and the other three are on their phones. Dad is probably doing another Q&A. Uncle Pete and Uncle Joe are probably on Instagram. If Uncle Pete isn't on Instagram, he is playing Fall Out Bird. He is obsessed with his own game.

As I'm watching TV, it blacks out and starts to go all staticky.

"What in the...," I start. Then the TV comes back on to a breaking news story. The headline reads:

Seattle Man Breaks Out of Jail and Goes on Killing Spree

That is terrible. Luckily, they caught the man. When they show a picture of his mugshot, my heart stops.

"What's wrong, Kristina?" Dad asks. He and I could both tell something was up because he only calls me by my name when something is up. I was staring at the TV screen. I reach for the remote and pause the picture of the mugshot.

"L-Look," I stutter.

The man on the screen is none other than Mick.

"That is terrible. That man is always up to no good," Dad says.

"What's going on?" Uncle Pete asks. Dad motions to the TV, and Uncle Joe and Uncle Pete both look. They shake their heads in anger and disappointment.

The fact that Mick went on a killing spree isn't what is scaring me. It's what is written in red ink underneath the numbers on the sign he is holding.

I am coming for you, Stump.

I don't know how he was able to write that on the sign. When they arrest you and put the orange jump suit on you, they take all your belongings away from you, even pens. But how he wrote it is the least of my worries.

"He is coming for me," I say quietly, but loud enough for Uncle Andy to hear.

"Who?" He asks.

"Mick," I say.