Chapter Thirty Three

Corrie's hands shook as she walked to the telephone and lifted the earpiece. Her heart pounded in her chest, the weight of her choice crushing her chest until she could barely draw in a breath. I haven't had enough time. I don't know what to do. Edwin had called her at the pinnacle of indecision, and Corrie felt like she was drowning.

"He...hello?" she answered, her voice displaying her conflict.

"Cornelia? It's me, Edwin!"

Edwin's voice was disturbingly chipper, recalling the Edwin she'd used to believe existed. It sounded as if he had completely dismissed all that had happened during his visit. Corrie felt her heart sink; her remaining hopes that Edwin would break the engagement and free her plummeted.

"Don't remember me?" he teased, voice jovial. "Your future husband?"

Corrie squeezed her eyes tightly shut for a moment, fighting the spasm of panic in her chest. "Good afternoon," she murmured.

"What ever is the matter, my dear Cornelia?" Edwin asked.

Corrie seethed, a hot breath hissing between her teeth. As if you don't know.

"Edwin, we haven't talked in days since you stormed out of town after screaming obscenities at me."

He chuckled. "You have such a flair for the dramatic, my darling. I don't think you can blame me for being concerned about the welfare of my fiancee."

Corrie drew in a deep breath, stifling the rage inside. Of course he would excuse his behavior as gentlemanly concern. Corrie could still hear his voice. "You betrayed me!" "I'm losing you to these people!" She remembered how he had blamed her, then Dr. Benjamin, and then Christina for her supposed disloyalty.

"Edwin, that's not fair," she finally murmured, too tired to fight. "You accused me of heinous acts."

"Oh," he scoffed, "it was all a misunderstanding. I'm just glad we're able to move toward our future together."

The future. How could she imagine a future with him when all she wanted was to end the phone call and never speak to him again?

He continued without noticing her silence, "Now, I've found us a cozy townhouse on a quiet street in New York that I think you'll love. It has window flower boxes and a quaint backyard. It shall be perfect for entertaining, but it's old fashioned to match your tastes. I'm really quite pleased that I was able to purchase it."

"You...you bought us a house?" Corrie stuttered.

How had they gone from nearly ending the engagement to purchasing their first home? Corrie's mind spun and she used a hand to steady herself against the wall.

"Of course! We shan't live in my small apartment after we wed. We're not plebeians." He laughed mockingly.

"Edwin, only days ago I thought you ended our engagement and now you're speaking of our life together? I...I don't know what to say."

He laughed. "Oh, Cornelia, darling, don't feel like you owe me anything. I'm quite a forgiving fellow. All is forgotten."

He blames me, Corrie realized. He blames me for nearly ending our engagement because of his suppositions and suspicions.

"I...I don't know if I can continue this," Corrie blurted out.

This was as close to the truth as she had admitted to anyone, much less Edwin. The sickening in her stomach told her that this was the wrong choice, that she was making a monumental error.