Dream a Little Dream (Inception: Arthur/Dom) For Me (Chapter Twenty Five)

Começar do início

            “Kids isn’t exactly something that is a phone conversation, Alex,” Richard replied. And it pained me to say, but he was right. But seeing him here, angry like this, made me wonder why I had ever agreed to marry him. Why had I agreed to marry someone who got so angry with me over little things?

            “I don’t want to talk about it now. I have to go in there.”

            “Alex, if you go in there, we’re through,” Richard said angrily. “I can’t have a wife who runs around risking her life without even telling me, and puts other people above her own family.”

            This stopped me. It felt like ice cold razors were shooting through my body as I processed his words. What was I supposed to do? He was right – a mother couldn’t put others in front of her children, or her husband. But did I really want that with Richard? His reaction when I had asked about kids was exactly what I did not want, but here he was, basically telling me that he wanted a family. But to me, Chandler was my family. I loved Chandler like he was my brother.

            “Richard, Chandler is like my family. I can’t just leave him.”

            “And what about us?” Richard asked, voice dropping. I didn’t know what to do. The look on Richard’s face was heart breaking. Did he honestly care that much about me? I always thought that the engagement was merely convenient for the both of us. But the look on his face read desperation and loneliness. Could it be possible that there was love in this relationship? The thought made me feel even more terrible. I knew I had gotten into this with nearly no romantic feelings, but I had thought it was the same for Richard.

            “Richard…”

            “You’re choosing them over us,” Richard said, disbelief coloring his voice. He took a step away from me, eyes holding all the hurt that I felt for doing this to him. But I had made my choice. I would not abandon Chandler now. I would not abandon my team.

            “It’s not a matter of choosing someone over the other. It’s the right thing to do.”

            The door slid open and Dom appeared, brow creased with stress, as expected. His eyes darted between Richard and I cautiously, obviously sensing the tension. “Ah, Alex? We’re ready to go…”

            “I’m coming,” I said, walking towards him. Richard reached out and grabbed my wrist.

            “Don’t go, Alex.”

            This was it. This was the choice. I turned back to Richard, trying not to let tears break through my tough exterior. With my right hand I tugged the large diamond off my left hand and placed it in his palm. His fingers curled around it, and wordlessly he bowed his head. I leaned up and kissed his cheek, breathing in his scent one last time.

            “I’m sorry, Richard,” I whispered. “But I’m going with them. I’m going to save Chandler.”

            “Is this it, then?”

            “Yes,” I said softly. I pulled away, retreating towards Dom. I took Dom’s hand, not because of any romantic feelings, but because I needed the strength to walk away from safety and security. Dom stared down at me doubtfully, unsure of what to do with Richard still standing there, and me not moving.

            “Alexia…”

            “Let’s go, Dom,” I told him. He nodded, and led me inside, shutting the door behind us quietly. The room was oddly quiet, and I knew they must’ve been listening. Across the room, Cassie stared at me with wide brown eyes, lips open slightly. She walked over as if in a trance, and put her arms around me, hugging me tightly. Dom released my hand, and I threw my arms around her.