Chapter 10

Dad's sat at the kitchen table when I enter the house, nursing a coffee at his laptop

Dad's sat at the kitchen table when I enter the house, nursing a coffee at his laptop. He looks up and smiles when he sees me in the doorway.

"Been out with this Cupid fellow again?" he asks. He raises a dark eyebrow – then shakes his head. "Cupid...what a ridiculous nickname...I don't understand you kids."

He goes back to typing as I grab a glass from the cupboard and get myself some juice from the fridge.

"I saw Charlie, too," I say. "You still working?"

"Have to balance these books before tomorrow," he says.

He pulls a face but I see in his eyes that he's glad to be back in an office job again. I grin then head back to the door. It's good to see him happy again after losing my mom.

"Lila..." he says suddenly.

"Yeah?"

Dad takes a deep breath, color filling his cheeks. He runs his hand through his messy black hair. I look at him in confusion.

"I...I have a date on Friday night. With Sarah...the doctor from the hospital..."

A grin widens on my face; Sarah is the woman that Cupid and Cal introduced him to after the battle – a potential match for my dad after the rules of love changed forever.

"So...I...uh...I might not be home Friday night," he says hurriedly.

I roll my eyes.

"I know you've been seeing her, dad...you don't have to get all weird about it..."

He exhales, a sheepish look on his face.

"So, you don't mind?"

I walk over and kiss him on his forehead.

"Course not," I say.

Then I head out, and up to my room to call Charlie.

I want to fill her in on the whole Valentine situation.

***

I wake up with a start in the middle of the night. I blink – confused.

Why did I wake up?

I think there was a noise.

I cast my eyes around the shadows in the room. My pulse is racing. I feel like something's wrong.

There's another thud outside my window and I jolt upright.

Valentine.

Cupid's words come back to me.                                 

If Valentine has escaped...this could be bad, Lila. Really bad.

What if he's found me?

I take a moment, breathe in deeply, and calm the beating of my heart.