nine

Isabelle sat next to Blaise in the Hufflepuff common room pondering recent events. She was starting to question if her plan was really a good idea. Tampering with Draco's already vulnerable emotions by throwing Harry in there. But she knew that Harry Potter befriending Draco might be the only way to convince Draco that he has a reason to be good.

"Blaise, do you think what we are doing is wrong?" Isabelle looked up at the tall Slytherin giving a questioning look. I second thought Blaise probably wasn't the person to ask that question.

"I really don't know, Izzy," he replied honestly, "I leave for Christmas holidays in a few days so maybe we can think it through over break?"

"How did you get to be so smart?" Isabelle joked fondly and smiled up at the boy.

The pair went back to studying in a comfortable silence, content just being near each-other. Blaise sat facing forward against the wall with Isabelle's back leaning against him and he found it quite the challenge to remain focused. Isabelle was so comfortable around him, he'd never met anyone so comfortable around him as her. She leaned against his arm, content, and studied for some Astronomy exam she had soon.

Isabelle was so beautiful, inside and out, and Blaise couldn't get enough. She had melted the ice walls around his heart and worming her way inside it. And now she's like a drug. He's hooked on Isabelle. Blaise could hardly imagine his life without her now.

Well, he could, but it certainly was not a life he had at interest in living.

He would get a taste of that life when he returned home for Christmas. And then he remembered he was supposed to take the Mark over the holidays. That day was fast approaching and his entire being dreaded it. That darkness was enough to drive a person mad, as it had many times. And he wanted no part of it.

Blaise knew the effects that taking the Dark Mark had on Draco. He knew how his best friend has been living in constant fear and pain. He knew that Draco was severely depressed and had real anxiety. He also knew that Draco had quite literally been bred to serve the Dark Lord. So how was Blaise, who was not, supposed to handle the pressures of being a Death Eater?

And then there was Isabelle. Beautiful, talented, happy, bright Isabelle. She meant the world to Blaise and she was truly incredible to have befriended someone like him. He just couldn't ask her to do that after he took the Mark. He wouldn't want her too. Of course, the selfish part of him would want Isabelle to stay, but the girl had made him see that being selfish is not always good. He knew that she deserves so much more than a boy with a Dark Mark.

On the other side of the castle, Harry Potter was having an existential crisis. The very core of who Harry thought he was has been shaken. Before, he thought his life had two main purposes: to save the wizarding world and be Draco Malfoy's arch rival. And now that only one seemed to be true, his life was flipped on its head. And yes, okay, he had only had that one conversation with the blond but they had nodded heads at each-other in the corridors a few times. It was all very weird.

Draco had always been a constant in Harry's life. An ever-present thorn in his side, but still. Malfoy was always just sort of there. He was always there to blow off steam at and argue with and he never let Harry get a big head. And he was oddly grateful to have someone like that to keep him on his toes, a trait that was necessary when trying to get rid of a dark wizard.

And now they had a moment. They were civil with each-other in a completely voluntarily way. However, Christmas break was coming along quite speedily and he wasn't sure this timid civility would last over the extended period away unless he did something to keep it going. And so Harry developed a plan of his own.

Two days later, it was time to send off the kids going home for the holidays. Isabelle stood next to Harry Potter casually as he bid farewell to all of those red-heads and Hermione Granger. As soon as they were all aboard the train, she yanked Harry across the platform to where Blaise and Draco were waiting. She smiled and hugged Draco goodbye as Harry shook Blaise's hand. She then shoved the raven haired boy in Draco's general direction, before embracing Blaise with a large amount of enthusiasm.

"Izzy," Blaise sighed, holding Isabelle very tightly in his arms.

"I know," she whispered with her face smushed firmly against the ebony boy's chest, "Blaise, promise me you'll be safe."

Isabelle looked up into his rich chocolate eyes meaningfully and Blaise gave her a look.

"Just please promise me you'll try."

"Of course Isabelle. I will try to be as safe as I can," he smiled weakly and hugged her again. Isabelle pulled away but held onto his hands until they were facing each-other squarely. Then Isabelle stood on her tip-toes and kissed the edge of his cheek sweetly and walked away leaving Blaise speechless, holding his cheek.

A few feet away, Draco and Harry just stood awkwardly facing one another, unsure of what they were supposed to do. After several slightly uncomfortable moments of just staring, Draco hesitantly outstretched his hand. And in that moment Harry felt as if everything was about to change. He didn't even hesitate to take the blond's hand and shake it. Then green met grey as they made eye contact.

Harry smiled.

Draco nodded.

As Draco turned to grab his friend and board the train, Harry could tell by the way he moved his head that a grin was on that pointy face. And the Gryffindor walked away glad that he had made the boy smile for the first time in a very long time.

"Draco, you are positively beaming," Blaise laughed as the sat facing one another on the Hogwarts Express.

"Oh hush, you're one to talk." And the pair just laughed for a large part of the train ride.

A.N. hiiii readers!!!!!!! Thanks for sticking with me this far, I hope you liked this chapter, I really did. Also what I have planned for the next chapter or two is all the feels😂💛. Please comment either #teamisablaise or #teamdrarry or both or anything you want cuz I love your comments!

Also I am going back to school tomorrow so I don't know how frequent the updates will be!

Love you all💛💛

- o l i v i a