49. The Realisation

If you enjoy reading my story, and would like a sequel, please show some love by voting, and leave some comments telling me your thoughts about the story so far!

Tearing the envelope open, apprehensive of what could be written inside. Taking a deep breath, I read the rhyme that is awaiting me.

'Ava,

So now that the journey has come to an end,

Your destination is just around the bend.

In the letter you shall find a key,

Which will lead you straight to me.

I'm sorry for the treasure hunt,

But it's what I had to do.

There's no one here in Melbourne,

Who I'd rather spend it with - but you.

H x'

Harry. It was Harry all along. He wasn't avoiding me after all, and I now realise his texts were all part of the plan, in order for me to be truly surprised. Well done, Harry.

I fumble with the envelope and carefully take out the small brass key. My hand is shaking as I insert it into the keyhole, and my knees are feeling slightly weak.

I push open the doors and walk into the dark foyer, locking it behind me. There are no lights on, but only the eerie feint blueish glow of the water tanks, which cause a beautiful rippling effect on the walls.

My eyes dart around the empty room, heart pounding through my chest. I follow the rose petals that form an arrow shape and my heart literally skips a beat for the picturesque sight before me. The room is filled with thousands of candles of all shapes and sizes, while lush flower petals decorate the marble floor's surface. Looking up, I see the true object of my desires - the man behind all of this.

Harry.

He's standing in the centre of the room, dressed to absolute perfection in his suit pants, fitted blazer, and a crisp white shirt with seemingly too many buttons undone - which somehow just works for him. He looks so pleased with himself considering the effort he's gone through to trick me, and I can't wipe the smile off my face - not even if I tried.

Relief doesn't even begin to express how I'm feeling right now. This is the most romantic thing anyone has ever done for me.

"Are you just going to leave me standing here on my own like a prat?" he laughs, running his hand nervously through his hair. I love when he does his hair like this, quiffed up like this. It definitely is one of his best looks.

I start to move towards him, half walking and half jogging, and when I reach him, I throw my arms around his neck and he kisses me, picking me up a few inches off the floor.

"Impressed?" he asks, talking against my lips.

"So impressed!" I exclaim. "So this morning? Your text messages?"

"They were all just a trick. I wanted this all to be a surprise," he says, craning his head down and nuzzling his face along the side of my neck.

"How did you know to take me here then?" I ask, probing him for answers.

There's no way he could have known how much I love this place without some additional help.

"I have Scarlett to thank for that," he answers, "I had a chance to ask her at Calum's birthday when you were away from the table. I told her I wanted to surprise you, and she was all for it."