Chapter 29

Vic's POV

There's a piercing scream ringing in my ear.

Am I dead?

I immediately feel stupid for that question when I open my eyes.

Matty is on the floor, being pinned down by multiple police officers. I look to Kellin who's no longer in the chair. Where is he?

Everything is muffled except the piercing noise in my ear.

I look around for Kellin and see Mike with the unconscious boy in his arms.

He's talking to me but I can barely hear him. But I do manage to catch what he's saying.

"The police say you cant leave yet. I'll take Kellin to the hospital." he says and I nod.

I give Kellin a longing look as Mike leaves with him. I hope he's okay. I hope it's not too late.

I feel a wetness on my face so I put my fingers to my cheek. When I pull them back, they're covered in blood. I look down at myself. My shirt is also soaked in blood. Did I get shot?

I look in front of me and on the floor is three paramedics crouching around Jeuse. I notice a pool of blood leading from him to my feet.

Then it registers. He took a bullet for me.

I rush down beside the man, pushing a paramedic away. He's choking up blood as a paramedic is applying pressure to the bullet wound on his chest.

"You saved me." Is all I can manage to say.

"My grandson needs both his parents." he smiles before he has a coughing fit, choking up more blood. "Vic, look after Kellin."

"Hey, don't speak like that." I tell him. "you're going to make it. You're going to be fine."

He shakes his head the best he can.

"Tell Kellin I love him." he whispers as his eyes close.

"We're losing him!" one of the paramedics yell.

One last word falls from the dying man's lips in a whisper. "Lisa."

I step back. He's already gone, I know it.

I take a breath, clearing my head then I start making my way out of the house. I need to get to my boyfriend. I need him to be alright.

"Hey kid, where are you going? You need to stay back for questioning." an officer says, stopping me.

"I need to get to my boyfriend so whatever questions you have can wait!" I snap

He nods and gives me a sympathetic look.

"Okay, I'll give you a ride. You're not in any state to drive." he says.

We then leave the house and get into a police car. He drives off and turns his sirens on.

"There's wipes in the glove compartment. Wipe the blood off your face." he tells me.

I do just that then stare horrified at the blood stained wipe.

The drive to the hospital seems to last forever and when we arrive, I jump out of the car without a 'thank you' to the officer before sprinting into the hospital.

I get a few looks, probably from being covered in blood as I rush up to the counter.

"I need to see Kellin Quinn." I pant out.

The lady types something into the computer, too slow for my liking.

"He's in the process of an emergency C-section. Are you the father of the child?" she asks and I nod.