Five

Alaric noticed how distracted Gwendolyn appeared to be as she sat in the passenger seat of his truck. She spent the entire ride looking out the window with her hands folded in her lap.

She hadn't said much of a word, not even inquiring where they were headed to.

Despite this, he knew the plan would work. Alaric knew what it felt like to be listless, having been there many times in his past.

Hell, he was feeling that way now.

After days of looking around with every resource known to man, he still hadn't the slightest idea who this stalker was or their true motive.

The only way he would obtain it was by ensuring they stay in the press and the papers, at least that is what he would tell Gwendolyn that if she asked.

In reality, tonight he was putting the mission aside and expressing humanity.

In the few days Alaric had been around him, he had begun to realize the controlling nature that Peter had taken on. It was something he had always been aware of.

But when he began asking for information, he had been provided a timed itinerary of everything she had done in a day. He monitors her contacts, location, presence in the media... there was nothing that man hadn't controlled over her.

Learning of her not dating was another shock. He wasn't a blind man, Alaric couldn't deny the beauty in the woman. After numerous dead ends, he figured that they could both use tonight.

As Alaric walked forward, he realized that he couldn't hear the sound of Gwendolyn's footsteps beside him anymore.

He turned and saw her frozen, staring up in awe.

The sun had begun to set, casting a golden hue over the park. The lights from the amusement park lit up her face like a kaleidoscope and for a moment he could only stare at her with the same awe she gazed at lights with.

As usual, everything on her was perfect. She had worn black pants to work that day, his first time not seeing her in a dress.

Yet even still, she wore the heels he had asked her to remove. Her white blouse was conservative as ever — he'd likely never seen her in lounge clothes.

Her blonde hair had been curled that day, but the rogue winds took it in the direction it wanted to go, giving her a wild look.

"Earth to Gwen," Alaric said once he was able to snap out of his haze.

She looked at him and smiled, "Sorry, I just... this is what I mentioned at the Gala."

Alaric smiled, pleased with himself.

As she had requested, they were at a fair — the only fair Alaric could find and just so happened to be thirty miles from her home.

Far from anyone who would recognize her, and if they did, they likely wouldn't care.

"Well, come on," Alaric said, boldly taking her hand and walking towards the booths.

"Two tickets please." He requested, pulling out his wallet to pay for it.

Even while at the booth, he kept his gaze in constant movement, attempting to be aware of every around them.

Given it was a Monday, there weren't many patrons, much to his relief. That part hadn't been planned, but pure luck.

Gwendolyn stuck close to him, still not letting go of his hand as they passed by the vendor's games.

"Where to first, princess?" Alaric asked.