Chapter 24 ○ Mourning

Grace's POV

I only heard the news until later at night. Detective Gordon had called me to tell me Commissioner Essen was killed in the GCPD attack. It was hard to take in, so I had to leave my apartment. I couldn't handle the tension between me and James, let alone being in the same place. I went to a nearby diner and sat down in a booth. 

A waitress came over after a few minutes and handed me a menu. I decided on a small plate of french fries to pick at and a cup of coffee. My phone buzzed in my purse next to me. I picked it up only to be met by a text from Edward. "I just heard the news, I hope you are not too upset. You should be though, but I hope you aren't. I mean, I would hate- Okay I'll just discontinue my typing." 

I laughed to myself thinking about how Edward is so quirky. He isn't like other men I have met who are more concerned with your body than your brain. James never really admired a beautiful mind, he admired my face and figure. It hurt me to know that he was also the one who was putting bruises on both. 

I was eating a french fry when a woman came over. She was in police uniform, so I assumed that she worked with me. I looked at her badge and, it indeed was a GCPD badge. "Excuse me, ma'am, don't you work at the GCPD too?" I took a sip of my coffee and looked up at her. "Yeah, I work as an assistant, but I don't know how that's going to work with the Commissioner's death." 

I teared up at the thought. The woman who I worked for was dead. She was a friend and my boss. I wondered about my career in the future and what it would be like. Would I work for the new Commissioner or Captain? What would I do with my life? I knew what I had to do first. I had to stop dating James. 

I couldn't be in a toxic relationship like this. I talked with the woman who's name was Candice for a few minutes before she had to leave. I finished my food, paid the bill, left a tip, and got in my car. This was going to be hard but I hope that I can get through it. I have friends that will help me, and that is enough to get me to do this.

I drove up to my apartment building and parked my car. I took a deep breath before entering the building and going up to my apartment door. I opened the door and I saw James at the kitchen counter with his back towards me. He smoothed back his hair that was very messy. I closed the door and he noticed. James looked over at me slowly, and his face grew angry.

A/N

I'm going to be doing a lot of Grace POV's but I will do Edward ones too soon. I hope you like this story so far!