40: Protective Tendencies, Remorseful Moments and Hallucinations

"We all need to split up, everyone split up into twos, and go with one of the revolutionists" Jasper orders, taking my hand in his. We smile to each other before walking towards Maya, over my shoulder I could see Bellamy stood beside Monty, arms crossed and a scowl on his face. I chuckled, remembering how he use to pout his lip slightly, and how I would poke the dent between his brows to make him laugh again, tears brimmed in my eyes and I looked away.

Jasper pulled my arm around his shoulders before helping me along with Maya towards the exits. I could hear the crackle of noise which signalled the intercom kicking into action. "This has been the dream of our people since the bombs, but to reach it now, I need your help" I rolled my eyes at the younger Wallace's voice. His arrogance ringing through the audio.

"The 44 criminals that irradiated level 5, killing 15 of our people, are now keeping us from that dream. Although we've repaired our home, we can never replace the lives that were so viciously taken from us, and as hard as it is to believe, there are those among us who would help the people who did this, and I am speaking to you now. If you truly want to end the blood treatments once and for all, then the 44 murderers you're now hiding are the key to doing that" I looked to Maya and the two other of mount weather people protecting us, their faces uncertain, but none seemed to be considering it.

"You have one hour to turn them in without punishment. After that, we'll be forced to consider you enemies of the state. I'm asking you, please do what's right for your people, our people, so that we can all take our rightful place on the ground. We're almost home." I watched as their faces turned to anger once again, all looking to us with sadness.

"We won't give you up, we aren't like them. It isn't right" One spoke up, just as we did so I heard a banging on the door in the room next to us. My eyes widened and they pushed us towards a painting, taking it off the wall to reveal an opening. I climbed in followed by Maya and then Jasper. The woman placed the painting back over before walking to her seat,

"I can still see them" Jasper whispered, reaching his hands back, taking one of ours in each.

"Step aside, please" I hear a deep voice ask, as more of a command. Maya looked to me with wide eyes and we took each others hand with our free one.

"Why? What's wrong?" I hear the man housing us ask nonchalantly. I smile, he's a good actor.

"We'll just be a moment" The guard informs casually, making my eyes roll, I watch as Jasper tenses up in front of us, making me peek over his shoulder. I couldn't see a thing.

"If you tell us what you're looking for, maybe we can help you" His wife finally spoke up, clearly not comfortable with the situation, my face frowned, we put them in this position, now they will be punished if they're discovered.

"You know what we're looking for" The guard growled, my face hardening, how could he be so cold to a defenseless lady.

"Honestly, we don't know" the man answered once again, his voice still calm. He was the stronger one of the two, he would protect his wife.

"According to your neighbors, you've been bringing extra food home after meals" The guard stated, coldly. I sighed, they'd been helping someone longer than just us.

"That's not true" He answered, maybe not. They only signed up to help because of Maya, who else could they have hidden anyway. People were already beginning to turn on eachother.

"Is it true that you've refused treatment 12 times in the past 15 years or that you've refused them 30 times? Do you deny that?" he accused, I smiled gently, they didn't like taking the blood because they knew where it came from. They hated this before even meeting us.