Part 1

It was one of those dreams I could have stayed in forever. I was on the beach and I could feel the sun warming my skin. A slight breeze kept me cool with the spray from the ocean. I curled my toes in the sand and let out a sigh of satisfaction.

There was a vastness about the ocean that always put me at peace. The sound of the crashing waves was soothing as I basked at its edge. The endless blue sky promised a long day of joy and relaxation.

Tim was there. I hadn't even noticed him beside me until I heard his gentle snores. He had the same dorky expression he would always get when he slept. I nudged him until he stirred and looked up at me in annoyance.

"Hey Bee." He smiled. "Couldn't you have let me sleep a little longer?'"

I blinked at him innocently. "Whoops."

He chuckled and sat up, looking out at the water. My heart swelled as I watched him. Every time I saw him, I fell in love all over again. He was my everything and I would have followed him to the ends of the earth.

"It's a perfect day, isn't it?" he asked.

"Yeah." I bit my lip. "It is."

I was always shy and awkward, but Tim knew how to bring me out of my shell. When he'd first approached me at the library, I'd nearly passed out. It took weeks for him to convince me to give him a chance, but it was the best decision I'd ever made.

His hand reached out and grasped mine, intertwining our fingers in the sand. Even in my dreams he could give me butterflies. I wanted to tell him I loved him, but I was nervous to be the first one to say it.

"I love you, Bee."

I stopped breathing. He turned to look at me and said it again. "I love you, Bee."

It felt so real. I desperately wished it was. Before I could say it back, he leaned in and kissed me. His lips were warm and they tasted like the sea breeze.

When he pulled back, his blue eyes shined with affection. Blushing, I tucked my head down and dug my toes further into the sand. Sometimes I didn't know how to react to the things he did. It frustrated me that I was so awkward.

Tim chuckled again and leaned back into the sand. He always knew just what to do to put me back at ease. I smiled brightly at him and followed suit. We both closed our eyes and allowed the sunshine to lull us into a blissful state. It was a perfect dream.

When I started to stir from my nap, I groaned in frustration. I squeezed my eyes shut a little tighter, but it was of no use. I was awake, and I would simply have to savor the good feelings for as long as possible.

I took a deep breath and filled my nose with the scent of fresh dirt. The smell was rich and pleasant. I wiggled my fingers, longing to touch it. My knuckle knocked against the wood in front of me. I hissed in pain and rubbed my finger until the ache ebbed away.

It was time to get to work. I picked up the little pebble that rested by my leg and began to scratch at the wood. It took a while, but I was satisfied with the deep groove I'd etched.

I set the pebble back down and used my finger to feel the mark I'd left. It was one of many and I took my time feeling them all. There were thirteen little lines. Each one carved using the pebble.

Shifting my hips, I flicked a spider off my leg. Normally I let them do their business, but that one was tickling me. There was only so much room for us down here and it bothered me when the critters got greedy.

When I'd first been buried, I'd hated the bugs. My box wasn't really big enough for all of us. When a mouse got in, I'd been happy for the company at first. It crawled in through the fist-sized tube and stayed with me for a few days. I'd wanted to be a good neighbor, but it kept biting me. Since then, I'd decided I wasn't very good at sharing.

My box was only big enough for me to lie down in and food only came once a day through the tube. The buildup of trash and empty water bottles at my feet made the space more constricting. It was annoying, but when I shifted the clutter around it sounded a bit like the rush of a wave.

I picked up my newest water bottle cap and began my daily chore. The wood above my chest was getting thinner every day. I used the caps to scratch at the wood until they got too dull to be worth the effort. Yesterday, I could have sworn a little dirt came through. It was too dark to see, but I was sure it happened.