Four

"I have to go check on Will." Bill sighed. "I'll be back before your sixteenth birthday hopefully." The blonde hugged his younger brother tightly before leaving. Dipper sighed and stood from his bed. He trudged to the bathroom and stared at his reflection in the mirror.

"I'm a demon?" He whispered. His hand strayed to his blue eye that was shining unnaturally. Closing his brown eye, he focused on his right and slowly, but surely, started to see things. Including the dark blue light surrounding him.

"It's called your aura Adrian."  A soft male voice said beside him, making him jump and for his brown eye to shoot open.

"Who's there?" Dipper asked frantically. He looked around but saw nothing.

"Close your eye again. I'm in front of you." The voice said in a breathy voice almost. Dipper listened and shut his brown eye again. In front of him stood a young man around his age with black hair and orange eyes. "My name  is James. I'm your inner demon or as your brother calls me, your inner eye."

"Are you Bill's too?"

"No. I'm yours alone. I, like other inner eyes, can see those of my own kind but only my master may see me unless I'm given strict order to show myself to someone else."

"Master?"

"At the birth of a demon from a powerful family, my kind is present. A newborn of my kind is assigned to a newborn demon for when they hit their sixteenth birthday to be a servant for life. I am tied to you emotionally, physically and mentally. Body and soul. The day you are killed or you fade I die. I am to protect you and if I am to fail, I will suffer a gruesome death in the case you do not survive." James smiled kindly. "We, me and my brothers, are tied to you and your brothers. Discluding your eldest brother Kill as we have been banned from him since he murdered his inner eye in his quest for power.

"I cannot lie to you, nor can I deceive you in any way unless I feel that the information I hold will be harmful to you. I, like my ancestors, am your slave, your tool, and you may do with me as you wish. My family has been tied to the Ciphers for millenniums. Possibly longer." James kneeled. He smiled up at Dipper. "And I assure you, any reason you might have for disbelieving Bill may disappear for he told the whole truth, confirmed by my own brother Amos. Bill's Shadow Servant."

"Really?" Dipper sat down on the floor with the aid of James.

"Indeed, Master Cipher." James placed himself faithfully at Dipper's side. He waved his hand in the air and produced a glowing orange pendant. "May I?" He asked, gesturing to place it around the fifteen year old's neck. Dipper nodded and felt feather light hands move around his neck and place the  gold chain around his throat. The orange gemstone glowed momentarily before fading into the same vibrant orange as James's eyes. "If you ever need me, even for the slightest of jobs, just say my name and I will be at your side in an instant."

"Thank you, James." Dipper smiled. James looked taken aback momentarily before smiling.

"You're welcome, Master Cipher. If I may, I would like to spend some time in the Shadow realm."

"You can go." Dipper nodded and James dispersed in a puff of smoke that traveled into the orange pendant.

.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.

"Dipper! Are you felling better?" Mabel asked as Dipper stumbled down the stairs. "Hey, what's wrong with your eye?"

"Heterochromia." James's voice supplied from the necklace hidden beneath Dipper's shirt.

It's heterochromia." Dipper lied. Well it wasn't a complete lie. "Mom and Dad made me wear a brown contact so it didn't freak anyone out."

"Well I like it." Mabel grinned and bopped him on the nose. "It makes you look unique."

Like you wouldn't believe. Dipper thought, a little triumphantly as he sat at the table.

"Good morning Dipper." Ford walked into the kitchen. He sat down and continued to pour over the book in his hand.

"Still searching for Bill?" Dipper asked casually even though he already knew the answer

"Yes. I don't believe that he exited this realm to go look after this brother of his. He's a demon. They don't have loyalties. I met one that wanted nothing but power in my dimension traveling. And Bill is no different." Ford grumbled. Dipper felt angry, like he couldn't explain.

"Don't let them know. I can't harm humans. Only supernatural creatures and if they learn of your linage, Master Cipher, they will attempt to harm you and I will be unable to protect you." James appeared at Dipper's side and whispered in his ear. "And if you wish to speak to me nonverbally then you only need to project your thoughts enough for me to hear."

James?

"A little harder master. It is only a whisper."

James?

"I can hear you now Master Cipher."

Why are you whispering? "I honestly wouldn't believe that Grunkle Ford. I'm sure some demons have hearts." Dipper frowned as he tried to protect Bill.

"Some humans can hear my voice. Ms. Pines for example. I would be written off as a spirit but what I am saying may be heard." James explained.

"And why do you say the Dipper?" Ford narrowed his eyes behind his glasses.

"He offered to let me and Mabel go. And Stan."

"So he could look for you. Worldwide." 

"He wanted the secret to world domination."

"He was looking for his brother. He told me himself."

"Master, please. It's almost time."

For what James?

"The celebration of your birth." 

"ARGH!" Dipper screamed as a wave of pain washed over him.

"Master!" James shouted as he felt the pain too. "Amos! Vern! It's time!" He screamed. His brothers, twins like Bill and Will, appeared with the Cipher twins. Bill ran towards Dipper as Will tried to keep the Pines back.

"Adrian, it's okay. It will be over soon." Bill whispered as he held the young demon to his chest. "Will, get behind me. You aren't strong enough. Amos, get your brothers behind us too. I know Adrian's inner eye is feeling this too!"

"Bill!" Ford shouted at the man.

"Stay back!" Bill screamed before any of the Pines could take a step forward. "He'll never forgive himself if he hurts you!" He noticed Will moving forward. "What are you doing?"

"You said so yourself. Adrian will never forgive himself if he hurts the Pines. And no matter how much Mabel Pines' counterpart hurts me, I'm going to protect this Mabel. And the rest of the family." Will stopped in front of the bewildered family and held out his hands to create a force field. "My magic may be weak but his is weaker. Pines family, please listen to me and stay behind me!" Dipper screamed again and objects began to fly about. Bill pushed the hair from his face and watched his closed eyes carefully. Plates and other objects crashed around them but none touched any of the Pines or Ciphers. "I don't believe it." Will whispered, dropping his force field. "He's protecting them even now. While unconscious."

Finally everything stopped flying and Dipper lay limp. "It's over." Bill sighed. "Amos, show yourself so you can help explain."

"Yes master." A solid voice drifted through the room as a slim man appeared behind Bill. He had green eyes and silver hair.

"Vern, you too." Will instructed, standing straight and walking over to Dipper. Then a plump, almost motherly like man appeared behind Bill and beside Amos, his white hair hid his violet eyes.

Vern smiled softly. "Hello, Pines family. I'm Vern and this is my brother, Amos. We are Shadow Servants."