Time Bomb

Chapter 14 

(Amelia's P.O.V)

Words could not describe how I felt when I looked into that little girls eyes and knew that she was mine. The little girl that I had been denied for so many years was standing right in front of me, probably confused as to why I was staring at her with so much adoration. 

"This woman said that you're my real mommy, is that true?" Her voice was like music to my ears, I had never heard a sound as sweet as hers. I was unable to speak, the only interactions I was able to do was to fall to my knees and open my arms to her, wanting desperately to hold the little girl I had thought I had lost forever. With a few seconds hesitation, I felt her small body press into mine, her little arms wrapping around my neck as her long hair fell into my face; her hair smelled of strawberries, the scent only children's shampoos will give off. With no effort at all I picked the small child up and held her tightly in my arms, seriously hoping that this wasn't just a sick dream my subconscious had decided to torture me with. 

For the time being all that I could think about was all of the things that I would finally be able to do with my little girl; like playing with her in the park, feeling the warm sunlight hit my skin as I tried to imagine what her laugh would sound like, and walking her to and from school every day. The possibilities were all racing through my head as I heard a woman clear her throat and I was forced out of my thoughts and into the real world again. I opened my eyes, my nostrils still filled with the scent of my sweet little girls hair as I stared into Devan's cold eyes, her smile never quite reaching them as if telling you that she didn't trust you at all and could kill within any given moment. 

"I don't know how to thank you for this" I confessed as she smiled and shook her head, loosening her stance, opening herself up to me more. "Let's talk in the kitchen" She stated, grabbing my TV remote and turning it on, walking into my kitchen. How long has she been in my apartment?  I questioned as I watched the small girl sit on my large sofa, turning to follow the criminal into my kitchen. I leaned against the counter as I watched her open my fridge and take out a water bottle, offering one to me which I declined. "How long have you been in here?" I finally asked, hearing her chuckle in response. "Quite a long time my love, I'm a criminal remember? I can go anywhere that I please." I rolled my eyes as I climbed up onto my counter, removing my firearm, watching Devan's eyes follow it. 

"Is he dead?" I finally asked, hearing her chuckled as I stared at my boots. "He was a man wasn't he?" She questioned as I shook my head in disgust, finally bringing my eyes to hers. "Did she see it?" I asked cautiously, hoping that my sweet Isabella didn't witness something as horrible as that. 

"I may be a criminal my sweet, but I am no monster." I watched as she faked being hurt by my comment, holding her hand over her heart with her mouth opened wide. "Stop calling me that, there is no need to." I stated, watching her break into a smile, stepping closer to me. "If you had actually wanted me captured, I would be in handcuffs right now, but they're still sitting on your waist, so what is your move Amelia? Are you really going to arrest the woman that just went across the country to get your little girl back for you? If so, I've really been rubbing off on you" She slurred, her fingers caressing my cheek as I moved my head away from her touch, knowing damn well what her hands were capable of doing. 

"Where is Bernardo?" I questioned, changing the subject so that I wouldn't have to think about it. But honestly, I had no damn clue what I was going to do. I couldn't just let her go, she's a criminal that will no doubt strike again. So what was I really going to do about this?

"I left him in the motel, he was tired even though I'm the one always doing the killing." She scoffed, taking a bag of chips out of the cabinet to eat. I watched as she took one out and ate it, walking out of the kitchen and coming back without the bag of chips. "Where did you put them?" I asked, raising my eyebrow in confusion. "I gave them to Isabella, someone has to feed your child." She remarked, causing my eyes to dart down to the floor. "Sorry, guess I'm not used to having her back. I'm used to her telling me that she's hungry by crying." I confessed, looking up to see her smile, something that still made me uncomfortable to watch. How could someone so evil still laugh and smile? Was she even human?