III: Characters

III: Characters

Although it may not seem important, Characters are extremely important to any story. The originality rule ties with Character Outlining. Make sure that your characters are original, and will interest people.

It is imperative that you make your characters relatable, otherwise, readers don't have any bond or emotional attachment, meaning they don't care. Don't make a character perfect, ever. These types of characters will make readers roll their eyes and will cause them to stop reading.

Any hero in a story shouldn't be perfect, same with the Villain. Heroes should be 60% good, and 40% bad. Villains should be 60% bad, and 40% good. Meaning, the hero has relatable characteristics. If you create a hero who is handsomely looking, has super powers, and no flaws whatsoever, the hero won't be relatable. Same with the Villain, and you don't necessarily have to make the hero have powers. Any hero or villain can be human.

I'm sure by now you get the point, don't make any character perfect. Another thing you need to note with Heroes and Villains is that they need to be the right match. IN every story, the hero must have a goal. The villain is the one thing stopping the hero from reaching that goal, making them ultimate rivals. Get it? Good.