C9: Bittersweet Reunion

*

When she raises her head again, Huang Siming is nowhere insight, and the only person left in the near vicinity is herself. No longer having to keep up with appearances, Li Meixing collapses onto the ground and stares up at the grey sky.

This won't do; she's no match for him as of now. If she is to have any hope of succeeding in changing the destiny of the Li family, she'll need to become just as cunning as he is.

"Look at the butterfly," a tender voice observes. Li Meixing's eyes widen and she hastily gets up from the ground. From a distance, Concubine Wei is speaking to the young Li Shaomei in her arms while walking. Shaomei, a toddler tightly bundled in warm clothing that gives her the appearance of a white dumpling, watches as a beautiful butterfly swoops in graceful loops.

An indescribable combination of pain, apprehension, and relief overcomes Li Meixing as she compares Shaomei's present condition versus their tearful separation below the scaffold. Wearing a smile on her face, she makes her way to Concubine Wei and Li Shaomei.

"Greetings to Li da xiaojie," the maids at Concubine Wei's side murmur before tactfully retreating a couple of paces away.

"Jiejie," Shaomei beams. She raises a small arm toward Li Meixing, and Li Meixing lets her feel the palm of her hand.

Turning toward Concubine Wei while leaving her hand to Li Shaomei's mercy, Li Meixing gently curtsies. "Concubine Wei."

"Ah, Li Meixing, you've become even prettier since the last time that I saw you. I heard that you had the opportunity to speak to the crown prince earlier," Concubine Wei observes in a friendly manner.

Li Meixing lowers her head to hide the anxious expression that may have showed up upon hearing his name. "En. His Highness is a very cordial and upright man; I'm honored to have been able to speak with him."

"Mm, it's good that your first meeting went well. Aiya, isn't your brother returning today from Huisu City?"

Li Huoxin's return from Huisu City? Li Meixing attempts unsuccessfully to recall the events surrounding that particular excursion, so she lets out a couple of words of agreement. "Yes; I've been looking forward to his return since several days ago. Concubine Wei's words just a moment ago reminded me that I need to prepare for his arrival. If you would excuse me..."

Concubine Wei nods warmly, and Li Meixing bids her and Li Shaomei farewell before heading back to the fu. Huisu City... she doesn't remember what happened in that city when Li Huoxin first went to it, but she knows what occurred there many years later. In the war against Su Kingdom, the soldiers stationed there were brutally massacred and over half of the civilians were injured as well. It was the scene of Qi Kingdom's greatest tragedy as well as their first victory, for Prime Minister Song, the minister of war, made his debut amidst the bloodshed.

Li Meixing purses her lips as her thoughts trail up to this point. That night at the imperial banquet, Prime Minister Song stood up to accuse her father of assassinating Huang Siming and coveting the throne. His fiery words meant to arouse anger and suspicion were nothing if not deliberate, and his willingness to attack the Li family could only mean that he had clearly sided with Huang Siming at some point. In that case, his debut at the battle that took place at Huisu City was undoubtedly a catalyst for the alliance between Huang Siming and the Song family. If it's true that he was supporting Huang Siming from behind the scenes, then he must have been an enormously important pillar in Huang Siming's scheme.

But how would Li Meixing take out this pillar? 

"Da xiaojie! Zhangzi [the first son, or Li Huoxin] has returned!" a familiar voice excitedly informs. Li Meixing snaps out of her thoughts and realizes that she has already returned to the main courtyard of the Li fu. Beside her is Bai Wei, her loyal maid that has accompanied her since she was a toddler. Bai Wei was instructed to stay away from Li Meixing and Huang Siming's meeting and was patiently waiting for Li Meixing to return.

"Gege is back? Where is he?" Li Meixing tucks away her train of thoughts and anticipates seeing her brother again.

"Zhangzi returned about one shichen [two hours] ago and immediately went to Prime Minister Li's study." Bai Wei pauses before cheekily asking, "How was your time with the crown prince?"

Li Meixing crinkles her nose and pinches Bai Wei's cheek. "Mind your own business," she teases. "I'll go visit Gege and Father."

Bai Wei pouts toward Li Meixing before following her toward Prime Minister Li's study. Along the way, the maids and guards on duty politely greet the two of them.

As Li Meixing nears the large courtyard designated for her father, she hears the muffled voices of Prime Minister Li and Li Huoxin.

"The emperor... spies... poor conditions."

"Unstable... Su Kingdom..."

Li Meixing makes eye contact with Bai Wei, and Bai Wei steps into the courtyard to announce Li Meixing's arrival. The conversation abruptly ends, and soon afterward, a tall and handsome man looking to be a couple of years older than Li Meixing greets Li Meixing with a hug.

Li Meixing's slender frame stiffens as she involuntarily remembers the tightness of her chest and utter grief when the three of them--Li Meixing, Li Huoxin, and Li Shaomei--had hugged for the last time. Li Meixing grips at Li Huoxin's hanfu, relieved that she's been given the opportunity to embrace her loved ones once more.