Chapter Nine

Heather Duke stepped into the school adjusting her green blazer and skirt. She looked around, slightly confused, before spotting Heather. "You would not believe what I went through last night. It was hell." She groaned.

"Good morning, Heather." Mac forced a smile, her eyes filling with hate and despair.

"I kept having this awful dreams that Heather was alive and it's like she was with me. You wouldn't understand of course." She blabbed on.

"Oh my god." She gasped, holding her hands at her stomach.

"You look freaked out or some shit like that. I thought we've been through this." Duke ran her fingers through her hair.

"Nevermind. Uh, Veronica was looking for you earlier. She seemed worried for you, she ran down the hall that way." She pointed down the right side of the hall and spoke in a soft tone.

Veronica leaned against the wall with her diary in her hands.

"Dear Diary,

Who am I anymore?

I feel like this world is tearing me apart and I don't know who's or what's left of me. Remember the girl who hung out with Martha Dunnstock and Betty Finn everyday? Yeah, me neither.

Sadly, death isn't an option here. I can't bring myself to end my life. That sounds so pathetic when I write it down. I sound so desperate.

The truth is I miss Martha, I miss Betty, I miss everyone. I want to go back to Junior high and start it all over. I want to restart this whole school year. I'm more than half way through and I want to give up.

What if I put a piece of myself into those suicide notes? Nevermind, I didn't. I don't want to die- but I do. Why is life so goddamn confusing!"

She kicked the wall and slid her back down it. "Fuck." She muttered.

"Veronica?" Duke approached the girl who was moping around. "Heather said you needed me."

"Oh my god, you're alive!" Ronnie jumped up in glee, dropping her diary on the floor.

Heather McNamara messed around with the hem of her blazer while looking around frantically. A girl wearing a white blouse with a pink skirt and a gray cardigan passed by Mac. She had big glasses and her hair was perfectly straight. "Betty, right?" She tapped her on the shoulder.

"Yes, and you're Heather. We met in the bathroom the other day." Betty gave her a warm smile.

"Could I talk to you? In private?" Her voice kept cracking, you could hear pain breaking through. Tears welled up.

"Of course," She made her way into the empty bathroom, concern filling her eyes. "What is it?"

"I'm scared. Terrified is a better word to describe it. I would tell Veronica these things but I know it will get back to Heather or her boyfriend and I don't want that to happen. I was on the phone with her, Veronica, and I kept hearing yelling in the back ground and I'm pretty sure it's my fault. It sounded like JD and he sounded pissed. Something's wrong. Something is definitely wrong. I don't know what to do. I'm just utterly terrified." Heather's words began to become inaudible due to sped up breathing and her shaking body (And tears.)

"Breathe. Just breathe. Okay? Okay. There's nothing to be scared about. Veronica is an amazing friend and you're so blessed to have her. She's not the type of person to kiss and tell so trust me, she won't share your secrets." (Veronica did share what Mac was going through with Ms. Fleming so...) Betty brushed a piece of hair out of Heather's face.

"But, but it will get around to Heather. I just know it. It always does. Heather always gets in the fucking way!" Her voice raised. That was something that no many people had heard. She hardly ever shared her emotions and so this was all new.

"Shh, calm down. I know you have feelings against Heather but yelling doesn't always work." She paused. "Heather, you don't have to answer this but, how did Heather Chandler impact your life?" Betty asked taking a step back.

"She, uh, was a huge role model in my life when we were younger. She was really smart in elementary school and junior high. Her and Heather Duke were always so kind and they helped me a lot. Math was my worst subject since it takes awhile for my brain to process things. I'm just a slow person and so Heather (C) tutored me. Back in third and fourth grade she was almost like a mother figure. I know that sounds weird but it's true. But of course people change and who knew one day- one moment could ruin your whole life. One day, in fifth grade, Heather (C) came to Heather and I with this brand new red scrunchie her dad bought her. And that's when everything changed." McNamara tried holding back the  i rest of her tears.
~~~~~~~
Hello,

Finally we're uncovering more of their back stories. Ayyyy :)

I should be sleeping,
Your home girl.