BOOK 4

ARGUMENT.

THE CONFERENCE WITH MENELAUS.

Telemachus with Pisistratus arriving at Sparta, is hospitably received by Menelaus to whom he relates the cause of his coming, and learns from him many particulars of what befell the Greeks since the destruction of Troy. He dwells more at large upon the prophecies of Proteus to him in his return; from which he acquaints Telemachus that Ulysses is detained in the island of Calypso.

In the meantime the suitors consult to destroy Telemachus on the voyage home. Penelope is apprised of this; but comforted in a dream by Pallas, in the shape of her sister Iphthima.

And now proud Sparta with their wheels resounds, Sparta whose walls a range of hills surrounds; At the fair dome the rapid labour ends; Where sate Atrides 'midst his bridal friends, With double vows invoking Hymen's power, To bless his son's and daughter's nuptial hour.

That day, to great Achilles son resign'd, Hermione, the fairest of her kind, Was sent to crown the long-protracted joy, Espoused before the final doom of Troy; With steeds and gilded cars, a gorgeous train Attend the nymphs to Phthia's distant reign. Meanwhile at home, to Megapentha's bed The virgin choir Alector's daughter led. Brave Megapenthas From a stolen amour To great Atrides' age his handmaid bore; To Helen's bed the gods alone assign Hermione, to extend the regal line; On whom a radiant pomp oh Graces wait, Resembling Venus in attractive state.

While this gay friendly troop the king surround, With festival and mirth the roofs resound; A bard amid the joyous circle sings High airs attemper'd to the vocal strings; Whilst warbling to the varied strain, advance Two sprightly youths to form the bounding dance, 'Twas then, that issuing through the palace gate, The splendid car roll'd slow in regal state: On the bright eminence young Nestor shone, And fast beside him great Ulysses' son; Grave Eteoneous saw the pomp appear, And speeding, thus address'd the royal ear;

"Two youths approach, whose semblant features prove Their blood devolving from the source of Jove Is due reception deign'd, or must they bend Their doubtful course to seek a distant friend?"

"Insensate! (with a sigh the king replies,) Too long, misjudging, have I thought thee wise But sure relentless folly steals thy breast, Obdurate to reject the stranger-guest; To those dear hospitable rites a foe, Which in my wanderings oft relieved my woe; Fed by the bounty of another's board, Till pitying Jove my native realm restored-- Straight be the coursers from the car released, Conduct the youths to grace the genial feast."

The seneschal, rebuked, in haste withdrew; With equal haste a menial train pursue: Part led the coursers, from the car enlarged, Each to a crib with choicest grain surcharged; Part in a portico, profusely graced With rich magnificence, the chariot placed; Then to the dome the friendly pair invite, Who eye the dazzling roofs with vast delight; Resplendent as the blaze of summer noon, Or the pale radiance of the midnight moon. From room to room their eager view they bend Thence to the bath, a beauteous pile, descend; Where a bright damsel train attends the guests With liquid odours, and embroider'd vests. Refresh'd, they wait them to the bower of state, Where, circled with his pears, Atrides sate; Throned next the king, a fair attendant brings The purest product of the crystal springs; High on a massy vase of silver mould, The burnish'd laver flames with solid gold, In solid gold the purple vintage flows, And on the board a second banquet rose. When thus the king, with hospitable port; "Accept this welcome to the Spartan court: The waste of nature let the feast repair, Then your high lineage and your names declare; Say from what sceptred ancestry ye claim, Recorded eminent in deathless fame, For vulgar parents cannot stamp their race With signatures of such majestic grace."

Ceasing, benevolent he straight assigns The royal portion of the choicest chines To each accepted friend; with grateful haste They share the honours of the rich repast. Sufficed, soft whispering thus to Nestor's son, His head reclined, young Ithacus begun: